Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

domain controller could not be contacted

Status
Not open for further replies.

waylander786

IS-IT--Management
Apr 10, 2006
GB
Hi,
i am trying to add a computer to our domain and it is showing the following error message: "a domain controller for this domain could not be contacted" I can ping the domain controller ip address but not ping the name. TCP/IP settings is obtain ip adress (it has a valid ip address)and dns server both automatically.

any help will be greatly appreciated. domain is windows 2003. client machine is XP pro

Assuming that your domain controller is running DNS for your system then your XP machine should be pointing to the DC for DNS name resolution. If you are using DHCP ensure that you are giving out your DC IP address under DHCP option 006 DNS Servers.

Paul
MCSE

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
Albert Einstein

Yep. Sounds like a DNS issue to me. If it's not resolving the name than it's probably not finding DNS and without DNS it will not be able to locate the SRV records for the DC.

Steve G (MCSE / MCSA:Messaging)

Thanks guys,
i have checked the settings and they seem fine, all machines are pointing to the PDC, this has happened since our network crashed last week. It was caused by a faulty hub which has been removed. but since the network is back up again, there are various intermittent problems now all related to the domain controller. Another machine had the same problem but a simple reboot resolved it. Some users complained about slow log in times and slowness in accessing resources from the file server. We're a charity so our network set up involves pcs connected to hubs and sharing the network point instead of installing individual points for each. the file server and domain controller are also connected this way, would it be better to replace the hub with a small switch? and do i need crossover to connect the switch to the network point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back