Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain Clients have no Internet Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bannon

Programmer
Jun 10, 2001
US
OK. Lemme give you a run-down of the network I am building
We have a nice server (2000 AS) and 5 professional desktops and 2 2000 laptops.

The network diagram is like this..

tried this:
dsl - linksys router (255.255.255.0 SNM) (192.168.1.1 IP)
router - all clients

and this:
dsl-server-hub-clients

I ran DCPromo
10.10.1.1 IP, 255.0.0.0 SNM
hq.rmelectronics.com
auto installed DNS server
completed

deleted root node in DNS manager
same name as domain hq.rm.......

added forwarder to isp dnss

added clients to domain.

no internet connection.

Checked the lan properties for parent and forward
ran netdiag

I see no problems, except that in config 1 with the router the server and router compete for DHCP server status. But on the hub method I dont see an issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ty

James O'Kelly
Programmer/Analyst

Internal Network: 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0
Linksys Network: 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0

Try switching either internal to match exteral or vice versus.

Quick question. With so few hosts on the internal network why is your net/subnet mask set for up to 65534 hosts? Set your network and subnet mask to 10.1.1.0 255.255.255.0 which allows up to 254 hosts. Should be plenty for you network.

The linksys cannot be changed, and dcpromo defaults to 10.10.1.1. So at this point I have been using defaults.

At one point I manually changed the server to match the subnet and iprange of the router but still no luck. Do you think that one of the problems with the router-server setup has do do with both of them competing for the clients?

ty
James

The reason you cannot access the linky is because you on another network. Hook a laptop up directly to the linky and manually set the IP to the same as the linky. Then point your browser to 192.168.1.1 and you should be able to access it. If not try reseting the linksys.

assume that the linksys and the 2k server are now both using a snm of 255.255.255.0 and an ip range of 10.10.1.1-10.10.1.100.

also assume that the w2k server machine has the latest updates

also assume that the AD is configured and the DNS server has no root node and is forwarding to an external DNS while pointing at itself.

also assume that DHCP is disabled on the router so Windows can take over.

Do I need to specify the gateway as the router still?

Is there any other reasons why domain clients cannot access the internet while the server can?

ty
James

Yup, you can specify the linksys as the gateway manually or set a scope option to point dhcp clients to the linksys. I beleive the option is "router" in the dhcp options. Just enter the linksys IP and dhcp clients will pick it up automagically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back