Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain browsing problems 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

siteglass

Technical User
Jul 26, 2002
GB
Please Help!!

Ok, I have a problem browsing my win2k domains through windows network. I have four domains,
Domain A, Domain B, Domain C, & Domain D. DA,B&C are in the same building and on the same ip range 192.168.3.* and D-D is in another building with the ip range 192.168.0.*. The problem I have is when using active directory to view the domains I can see all PDC's fine and browse compters and servers etc from anywhere :), but when I use windows network I can only see the domains from the building I am actually at, e.g If I'm in domain A,B or C I can browse them fine but unable to see D and if I'm at Domain D's site I can only see that domain and not the others.
I have tried using wins but this does not reslove the problem, I think it may be a problem with DNS or the ip ranges being different.

Any suggestions?????

Should this solution work over the routed lan?

Yes it should - main reason to use WINS is to resolve netbios names without resorting to broadcasts.
As broadcasts don't traverse routers this is why you need WINS as a means to resolve via directed traffic.

As long as your network is functioning correctly a single WINS server should suffice and avoid the replication problems Shackdaddy suggested was probably at the root of your problem.

Remember it will take some time for the WINS server to build up a proper list of your clients.
Good Luck :)

I have set-up an single wins server on domain A and I still cannot see Domain C from Domain A or B when browsing through windows network!! :(
I can see it fine when I use the AD to browse...
Where might I be going wrong guys..

It might take some time - basically you need all the browsemasters to be registered in your WINS server.
Not sure how long it will take but prob a few hours.

Incidentally you can check which is the browsemaster for each subnet by using a neat little tool called browstat which is in the Win200 Professional resource kit(browstat status). Then you will be able to find out if they are all registered in the Wins server.

Also have you changed the clients to all point at the new WINS server ?

There are no clients at the moment just domain controllers but I have all pointed them to the wins server. does that browstat status work on OS-win2k advanced?
I've also set the DHCP scope options to add the wins info and hnode.

When you check the WINS database, do you see entries with the names of each of your domains? And entries for each of the domain controllers that you configured to register with WINS?

What should I be looking at? The wins admin on the server that is the wins master browser!!!

I do not see any entries in the wins database. How do I check it????????

Hey guys. Sorry to bother you again but I have done as you said and I still cannot see domain C through windows network!! The domains and computer are all registered with wins and I can see then but just cannot browse.
Please Help!!!

If the domains are on different sites (different areas of country) and connected via a VPN using ISA Server, would the subnet solution work?

So one of the local domains, C, isn't showing up in your 'My Network Places' or 'Network Neighborhood?'

Look, if you can see domain D, which is in another building\subnet, and can see A and B, mustn't there be a problem with the way you entered domain C's information? Is the subnet mask correct? Did you remove WINS server off of C's PDC, or did you just disable it? Try checking the WINS registration info on the domain C DC and then rebooting the server in the standard 'restart' fashion. It should unregister itself from WINS and then reregister itself when it comes back up. Wait an hour, then check the browsing environment again.

Siteglass, you need to: become the master.

Ok Shackdaddy, this is whats goin on and see if you can shed any light on whats happening.

There are 3 domains in total and one is on another site in the country.
Domain A---Location 1 ip range 192.168.3.*
Domain B---Location 1 ip range 192.168.3.*
Domain C---Location 2 ip range 192.168.0.*

Each site has an isa server connecting them together via a vpn!!
Domain A has a wins server and Domain C has a wins server and they have both replicated with each other and all nodes can be seen in the wins database on each server.

The problem is still the same as before.. When using
"windows network" in network neighbourhood from domain A or B I cannot see domain C, and when looking at domain C windows network I cannot see domain A-B's. But If I use the A/D on any machine I can connect to any domain from anywhere and browse and view files Etc....

Any more ideas

If he used the IP range:

192.168.0.1 --> 192.168.3.254

with the subnet 255.255.252.0 would he be able to bin the WINS servers?

Danny

Beanz: Yes, if he 'supernetted' (or CIDR'd) with that mask, he'd be able to do without WINS, since he'd have one big layer 3 broadcast domain. A VPN can be set up with RRAS that would allow both side of a WAN link to be in the same network range. The downside is that since the VPN server is extending the broadcast domain across the VPN, the traffic crossing the VPN would include anything sent to 192.168.3.255, or all IP broadcasts on the network.

Siteglass: Well, for starters, if you had decided to use a single WINS server, and put up with the WINS traffic across the WAN link, you wouldn't have this problem, but I think that keeping a WINS server at each site makes sense. So let's see what we can do....

One thing that is critical is that the WINS server on each side have a record for the domain master browser of each domain in each site. I believe the record should look like:

192.168.x.x DOMAINNAME(1Bh)

There should be one record for domain A, one for domain B, and two for domain C. Two for domain C because there will be one for each site that makes up a domain. Make sure that any clients of domain C that exist in site 1 are using the WINS server that exists in site 1, not the one that exists in site 2.

What would happend if I set both isa servers to broadcast instead of hybrid within the node type. Would this make a difference to the browsing problems that have occured within windows network????

hello guys. Sorry to cut in here, but I have an issue wondering if anyone could help. One of our site is connected via Frame Relay to the main office where the Win2k DC is. Everything seems to work fine, DNS, WINS etc. This site is on a separate subnet but has the same mask as the DC subnet. I can logon to the domain with Win98 machine and browse the network and can access all the shares on the servers just fine. But when I try to logon to the domain with win2k Pro, the pc will just hang at 'Loading Your Personal Settings...' message window. Now if I disconnect the network cable from the pc, it loads the profile and gets me to the desktop. Then i can go into Network Neighborhood and able to see rest of the PCs but cannot access anyone of them!!
So thats where I am stuck!! What am I doing wrong??
Thanks....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back