Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain Browsing problems over a routed WAN!!!!!! URGENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

siteglass

Technical User
Jul 26, 2002
GB
Ok

I have a really serious problem!!!!
I have three domains
DomA ip range 192.168.3.* s/n 255.255.255.0
DomB ip range 192.168.3.* s/n 255.255.255.0
DomC ip range 192.168.0.* s/n 255.255.255.0

Domain A and B are in the same location and Domain C is on a different site.
They connect Via a VPN connection using ISA Server..

The problem that I have is when I try and browse using windows network on a 98 client I cannot see the domains over the router.
e.g Browsing from A cannot see C and browsing from C I cannot see A,B...

There is no problem with the router cause I have an nt4 setup on the same router and it works fine.
Also I can see all domains using Active directory browsing within my network places.

I have tried wins,lmhosts and also changing the subnet mask but none of this works.

Can someone with brains please reply...

Ok, we've been through this. Here's a question. Why is this really a problem? Why can't users have drives mapped to resources they need to use? I know that in several networks that I've worked in, Win9x users don't even use Network Neighborhood because the share structure has been well laid-out and mapped drives are in place. Why not use DFS and set up a single point of access for all files and map user's drive letters to the DFS root share?

I'm sure that if you really want to resolve this, you could sit down and thoroughly learn NetBios name resolution and the Windows Browsing system and figure this out. The solutions will involve WINS and/or lmhosts files if your Win9x clients are the focus of your problems. There aren't any other solutions.

ShackDaddy

Yes ok

But when I set up wins I cannot get a 1bh record in the wins database for domain C.
Is there anyway of adding it in?

Cheers

siteglass

Can someone please help cause this is really urgent now!!!

Did you take a little time to look at the WINS documentation on how to create new entries in the WINS database?

The record can be added by creating a static mapping. Create a static mapping, choose 'Domain Name' as the type, and put in the name of Domain C and the IP address(es) of the domain controller(s) for Domain C. I haven't run WINS on Windows2000, so I can't give you a detailed blow-by-blow of how to do it on that platform, but it's pretty easy on NT4.

I know I've said this before, but this is one of the reasons why it would be good, if possible, to use a single WINS server, and point ALL systems at it, rather than use two or more and have the added complexity of replication mucking things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back