Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain 2 Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

View3D

IS-IT--Management
Nov 20, 2002
US
I have a customer who is retiring a domain and is migrating users to a new domain. Both win2k and E2k. In running some tests, domains have trusts and accounts have migrated to new domain using ADMT. What would be the best way to migrate mailboxes to the new domain? If using exmerge in one step mode, do I lose file associations where the new information store becomes 5 times larger?

Thanks.

p.s. I have no problem rebuilding new domain from scratch if needed......

yeah, you'll lose single instance storage. Of course, you could opt to "start fresh" by exmerging to PST's, attach the PST to the new users mailbox profile, copy back only the Inbox portion of the PST, and let the users go to the PST for old deleted and sent items. That would save you some space, at least...

Yes, that is what I am looking at doing.... There is so much info on 5.5 to E2k, but not much for E2k to E2k....

Is there anything other than Exemrge?

Thanks.

Not from MS, but I'll bet there's 3rd party tools out there. Check out places like Sysinternals or NetIQ...

NetIQ has a product I will be testing. I did not think of Sysinternals. Thanks.

Well, the NetIQ product does not maintain single instance either. If that is the case I would stick with exmerge and pull mail to a PST and pass the PST to the users.

What would be involved with moving the pub1 and priv1 databases to the new E2k box. Are nameing conventions preventing that scenerio??

Again, thanks.

yeah, that would be at least one of the reasons, not to mention that absolutely none of the security attributes match up either (SIDS, GUIDS, etc...)

Yup, best to start from scratch.... Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back