Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Doing your own hosting? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

treyball3

Programmer
Jun 20, 2001
US
Hi, I've done some web design and am considering wanting to do the hosting too. I know nothing about setting up my own server. Can anyone point me someplace to go? Or does anyone have any tips? I preferably want to set a windows server so I can run ASP on it. I kinda need like a checklist or something, cause I know I'll need security and stuff like that, but like I said, I know nothing about it at this time. Thanks a bunch
Todd

None of the posts by treyball3 say that, at least not as far as I can tell. I would guess that CapnSteve interpreted it the same way.

My posts don't directly say that, and I didn't really know anything about it, but I definitely want to learn about doing it myself, having my own hardware. I think it would be a lot more interesting and fun to do. Thanks for all the great comments. I appreciate it all.

Why do companies guarantee only 99.9% uptime and not 100%?

it must be a leagal thing?

[sup]
user.gif

There's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over!

[/sup]
pong.jpg

-TonyU

Tony,

It is a legal thing. If you visited your site and for a split second it didn't resolve correctly, they would be in breach of their contract.

99.9% gives them some leeway.

Hope this helps

Wullie

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change.
The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

Yeah but also you cant guarantee 100%. Even with protection, you could still get a damaged server from power outs and other factors

~*Gwar3k1*~
"To the pressure, everything's just like: an illusion. I'll be losing you before long..."

I Have read all of the posts here and I would still like to venture out into the waters of hosting my own I currently host an Intranet site at my job, but I want to expand that and host a For the pure challange of it if not anything else. I would like to use IIS 5.1 on xppro- I will be using Frontpage 2002 server extensions. Aside fromm all of the great material allready posted, does anyone know of a good instruction manual, explaining the security side of hosting and the process of doing the actual hosting.

You couldn't write any one manual, especially from the security side there are new exploits every few weeks.

suggested sites for security related info

On the hosting, you will have problems with XP Pro, you have a limited number of concurrent connections allowed to XP (10), and you can only have one website.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

I'd also recommend visiting the SANS Institute website at:

Sign up for their various newsletter subscriptions, especially the NewsBites, Alert Consensus, and Critical Vulnerability Analysis. They will email you weekly and breaking updates on IT Security, Security Alerts, and Vulnerabilities. They also have a lot of good white papers and Security Resources. There's no charge for using their site or for the newsletters.

ChrisHirst,
Correct about XP Pro limitation to 10 users (and XP Home is 5); but if you run Apache for Win32, you have unlimited virtual domains.

Newposter
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

Luckily XP home doesn't run IIS. Good point about Apache, all it needs is to be able to run ASP without spending a fortune on Chilli!Soft.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

Well Things have changed a little. XPPRO will be replaced with Win SERVER 2003and IIS 6.0. Now i have a bigger ball of wax to play with... Thank you all for you input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back