Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does XP Pro support more than one domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomcsanadi

IS-IT--Management
Dec 6, 2001
US
I have a laptop that has XP Pro on it and I have to do work at different companys and I would like to be on each of their domains. Is it possible to add more domain to the drop down box on the login screen.

The domain should show up in the drop down list automaticaly. You would just need to make sure a user account is setup on the DC. CNYTech
- A PC and Windows XP Support Forum

Can you add more then one domain?, Like have a list of domains to choose from.

Your computer can't be a member of multiple domains at the same time, however, you can log on to the computer and access the resources with a valid user account in the domain you wish to access.
When logged on, try accessing them by
\\servername\resource. If the domain is set up properly, you should get a logon box that will allow you to sign into that domain.
Best of luck. MCSE, A+

I have 2000 Pro at work, when I turn my system on I get the logon box. In the domain section I can drop down and select which domain to log into.

I did not set this up so it must be automatic to some degree. While I am a member of one of the domains, I can log into the others as long as a account is setup accordingly. CNYTech
- A PC and Windows XP Support Forum

XP ties in very strongly with NT security, much more intimately than previous clients.

You would need to be added at the DC for each domain as a member of the Domain Administration Group to make this in any way painless. Many IT supervisors are unwilling to let you do this. The painless part stems from the fact that no matter what you do along the lines you requested XP will see it as a Domain Name change, and gets all hot and bothered.

While there are third party utilities that let you "state save" your connection; you could add yourself several times as a user, with appropriate settings; you could edit the Domain Name each time, etc.. unless you have Domain Administrator rights the suggestion above to use fully qualified paths seems the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back