Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does XP have IIS or PWS? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheViper

Technical User
Mar 16, 2001
CA
Does anybody know if XP Home Edition has IIS or PWS?

I'm not sure... XP Prof has MSIIS...

Although I don't personally have it, you can COUNT on it having some form of web server in both the personal and professional editions.

penny.gif
penny.gif

Well hush my mouth and call me surprised.

Can't help but to wonder why, but I guess that'll teach me. :)
penny.gif
penny.gif

That makes up my mind to NOT "down-grade" to Win XP Home Edition. If I want to use ASP, I can't do it on Win XP Home. That just stinks.

Great going Microsoft! Keep up the lousy work and I might just adopt Linux. XP stinks.

Einstein47
(The greatest trick the devil ever did was to convice the world he didn't exists.)

Not true, my friend. Everyone I've talked to, while no one really likes the fact that you have to "activate" the software, and obviously, this little thing doesn't quite make sense to me either... everyone says it's the most stable, user-friendly, well thought out version of Windows yet.

Besides, you can get the pro edition of it for about $100 dollars more.

Eh... whatever. Win2k is great, though. :)
penny.gif
penny.gif

I am running XP pro, and although it takes a little getting used to (i used to run 2k) it's well worth the upgrade.
It is more stable than 2k and faster generally!

highly recommended!!!!

and althiugh i never thouight i'd say it, well done MS!

Just Convert from the Dark Side to JSP's and Suns Platform its just as good and OS independent (works on XP to)

LK--<

Are there any programs that will let me run asp on xp home?

You don't need to buy Win XP professional to have PWS.
I was actually able to install Web server extensions on Windows XP home edition by installing IIS components from NT 5.0 beta 2 version. Now, I have a mix of files that belong to both versions. When I checked the about box for PWS, I saw version 5.1 for PWS. Everything, works OK though. It even has FTP support like all real IIS' do.
I wonder if you can do the same thing using Win 2K option pack for these purposes

can anyone tell me how to activate pws on xp pro or where i can find a tutorial on working with pws on xp?

Why was it so hard for me to find IIS in XP? I couldn't find the darn thing anywhere in the startmenu? what's up Microsoft? i had to go to the run command and type in &quot;Inetmgr&quot; manually. and not just that, i couldn't find netmeeting either, had to type it too. gzzz.

OK, Friendly Advice, how do you install IIS components from NT 5.0 beta 2 version? Add remove programs windows components? Is there a setup on the cd? I need info...

antman....

Start -> All Programs -> Administrative Tools -> Internet Information Services.

Or if you don't have admin tools on your startmenu

Start -> Control Pannel -> Administrative Tools -> Internet Information Services.

The same place as IIS5(2k/xp) always has been, its only IIS4 (NT4) where it has its own entry in the start menu.

Um.. how do you install it when you have winxp HE as the os that is? I thought that was understood since that is this topic's subject...

nickhills...

sorry, I missed your &quot;antman....&quot;

I don't have NT 5 beta 2 but do have w2k pro and can't get any of the setups to work on xp home. How oh how does one get nt5 beta v2 and then install such as Friendly Advice states?

Is there an alternative web server application for win xp HE? I really only need php and mysql support and don't know about anything else than pws and iis for a windows box.

nickhills...

Thanks. I was checking out apache's site today. I'll probably give it a whirl but do want to do a little asp now and then probably. Does chiliasp run on apache?

jackals...

yep

Ripped From Chili!Soft.com:........

&quot;Sun™ Chili!Soft ASP is a comprehensive software solution for deploying Web sites and applications based on Active Server Pages (ASP or .asp) using the Apache, iPlanet or Zeus Web servers running on a variety of platforms. &quot;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back