Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does XEROX 8570 & 8870 ink interchange? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

tivie

Technical User
Nov 17, 2011
US
I have both the 8570 & 8650 printers. When I purchased my 8570, it came with a rainbow starter pack of ink cubes. The box states "For the Colorqube 8570/8870 solid ink printers." I see also that the specs on my maintenance kit works for both also. So here's my question .... Can I use 8870 ink in my 8570 printer? Seems to me if the starter ink pack works in both, the ink should interchange. Am I correct?

I took a look at the complete parts list for both 8570 and 8870 printers and the only 2 different parts are the ink loader and the Sim card. All the other parts have exactly the same part number for both printers. You can get the 8870 ink loader (815K13130) for around $300 and the Sim card (069E00670) for $50. Do you think if I install the 8870 ink loader and Simm card on my 8570 printer, I will have now a 8870 printer and could use the 8870 ink sticks and save hundreds of $$$ then after in ink ?

Hello there - this comment is about long term use of starter ink in the 8570, not substituting 8870 ink ...

I found out a better way to use starter ink in the 8570 after it hits the maximum count error notice. No need to melt off and move the D foot to a C postion. I found that using a 1/4" wide strip of paper and slipping it alongside the "C" postion in the slot where the ink loads the solenoid activates and the ink will slide down.

Try this without any ink in the slot until you find the right position for the paper.

Position the paper over the middle optical sensor until you hear a click, drop the starter ink in and let it slide down. I found that a slight crease in the paper to the right above the top of the ink loader helped me to hold the paper with my right hand while keeping my knuckle out of the way and allowing my left hand to drop in the ink cartridge.

Looks like the picture links for my above post aren't working - let me try again:
14l7nkk.jpg
f9maf8.jpg

Looking further into the 8570 to 8870 "upgrade" that Brossard suggested. Here are a few links:

The 8570/8870 Xerox Service Manual
* Page 198 is the ink loader removal instructions (looks fairly easy to do) (815K13130 is 8870)
* Page 302 is the part number list showing 8570/8870 interchange for the ink loader
* Page 15 shows the configuration card location
* Page 306 shows the configuration part number differences (069E00670 is 8870)

I confirmed the Ink loader/bezel is $245 (refurbished) to $285-300 new and the config card is $39 or so new.

Looks like a good upgrade to me. But right now I can get starter ink on eBay for $61 for 4 sticks including shipping - that's $15 a stick. Best price on eBay for the 8870 ink is $279-$299 for 24 sticks ($12 each). It would take 100 sticks of ink (a long time for me) to pay off a $285-325 upgrade by saving $3 per stick. We're a fairly low volume printer. For the rest of you doing volume printer the payback might be fairly quick.

Using the above paper over the solenoid trick I can use starter ink forever with no modifications.

I am curious as to how easy the upgrade is for future consideration.

Thanks Oregondean for your trick. I didn't know it can be so simple. I may work on a very thin metal support with handle to insert each ink block in the slot with the exact positionning with the C solenoid when we insert it in the slot.

Or I may try my suggested ''upgrade'' when my warranty will be over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back