Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does WinXP "know" about the change of dates for Daylight Savings Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gyula

Technical User
Jan 15, 2002
US
We are running machines with XP Home and XP-Media Edition. We have the MS "automatic downloads" of XP files on both machines.

Will the "automatic downloads" patch XP so that it automatically changes the time on Sunday or will I have to make the change manually?

Thank you.

If you have installed the current patches, it will happen automatically.

Calendering applications could concievably be off depending on how they work or if they've been patched appropriately.

Well, on my "Add and Remove Programs" page it shows that "Update to Windows XP #931836" has been d/led to my machine. So it looks like all is well.

Thank you both for the quick and most helpful reply.

(After all this one hopes that this whole change of DST is not an early April Fools joke.)

12:05 p.m., Sunday, March 7

Well,I thought I'd bring you up to date on WinXP recognizing the new DSL date. Went to my computers first thing this morning and my desktop--with Win Home SP2--showed the correct new time. Hurrah!!

My notebook with Win Media Center Edition (which I believe is a version of WinXP Pro) was unchanged. So I went to the notebook's "Add and Remove Programs" page and saw that "Update to Windows XP #931836" was not listed. Nor were any "Update" files listed (on the desktop there were seven such files--including, of course, #931836--listed).

So I went to the "Windows Update" page (of the notebook) and tried to download any und/led files. Under both "Express" and "Custom" was told that there were no files to d/l. (I have both computers set to automatically d/l Windows files.) INTERESTING??!!

Have any of you had problems with WinXP not making the change to the new DST?

The only thing that I noticed, was on some machines that were set to get their info from a time server, the time was off until the sync schedule came around or they were manually syncronized.

Have you checked the box in Control Panel (Notebook) to show installed Updates?

Are the Regional Settings correct, is your Notebook in the same Country (Time Zone) as you?

This will allow you to double check installed updates (plus a lot more too)

Belarc Advisor:

Microsoft released a patch on Feb. 7 (KB931836) to accomodate the new DST law.
Gene [2thumbsup]

linney has already posted the link to that KB Article.

Odd. My timezone changed today sometime. The time was updated correctly last night, but today, the webpages were showing the wrong time! There was a previous problem with FoxyClocks displaying the right time. Don't remember what I did to resolve it.

-David
2006 & 2007 Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP)
2006 Dell Certified System Professional (CSP)

I just found out that if I uninstall the patch KB931836 the time on my machine shows the correct time.

I then reinstall the update and the time is wrong and the only way to fix it is unchecking the automatically adjust for DST box.

Very Wierd. I would almost say the patch has got a glitch, but its working for some people so I don't know what is going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back