Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

does windows cache domain passwords?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmaleh

IS-IT--Management
Jun 18, 2003
US
I wanted to change a users password on our domain but when I did he tried to login and it told him the password was worng. I tried 3 other passwords and the only one that worked was his original password. does windows cache the password anyplace? do I need to reboot the domain maybe? I know I don't just to change the password but maybe something is not right. any thoughts?
-marc

There is a fault somewhere. Check your server's event log an see what is happening there.

XP Professional caches the passwords for a Domain.

It is generally better to have the user change the password while connected to the Domain. By setting a Group Policy for password expiration, they will be prompted to change the password. the least desirable option is for the Administrator to change the password unilaterally. At that point the stored credentials and the Domain are out of sequence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back