Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does VSS support SQL Server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

essa2000

Programmer
Dec 6, 2000
CA
Dear ;
AOA
I want to know that Does VSS Support SQL Server. I want to place my Stored Procedures in VSS and check out in SQL Server.

Essa2000

You cannot do this directly in SQL Server 7.0. But you can make a backup of database and than check ing that file in VSS. Don't know if SQL Server 2000 have such feature...

Vlad Grynchyshyn
vgryn@softserve.lviv.ua
The professional level of programmer could be determined by level of stupidity of his/her bugs

Essa,

Are you still interested in this? We are storing SQL sp's in VSS and it is working well. It's a bit round about; actually we store *.sql scripts that delete the current stored procedure, and then recreate it. Any modifications are made to the recreation piece.

Let me know if you are interested or need more info.

Kathryn Kathryn

I was wondering why, in SQL Server 7.0, I see system stored procedures with names like dt_addtosourcecontrol when there doesn't appear to be any VSS integration.

Has anyone used these procedures, or can tell us what they are intended to do (besides confuse the user :)?

Good question. I have just jumped over to the MS KB and found a KB article, "HOWTO: Put Stored Procedures Under Source Control in Visual InterDev" KB # 201240

which might answer some of your questions. However, I cannot find anything on those particular stored procedures, which I have also always been curious about. Kathryn

Hi Kathryn,
I hope you're still reading this thread. I am investigating ways in which we can version control our stored procedures - I would prefer not to use the Visual InterDev method as not all our developers use it. Could you please email some more information about your solutiuon - I have investigated storing them as *.sql scripts, checking them out, altering via query analyzer, then checking them back in - just wondering what advice/experience/issues you could help with.

Thanks,
Mark Grieve
mgrieve@commander.com.au

Hi,

If you use Visual interdev you can control stored procedures through VSS.
What we do is seperate all our sp's into files and then we can use Visual interdev and VSS to store them and promote to sql server

Does anyone know of a bug or problem using VSS with SQL Server 2000? We want to integrate our source control with Visual InterDev, but we are finding that it doesn't work with 2000 and it does work with 7.0. Any thoughts?

Hi Stubey,

Thanks for your reply.

Can you please be more specific about how you exactly promote stored procedures to sql server using VSS and Interdev?

Thanks

- Jags...

Kathryn,

I would be very interested in what you have done with regards to putting sp's into SourceSafe. The client I am currently working for has requested this, and we are just about to dig into this one. If you get this message, please feel free to contact me at jhein@slga.gov.sk.ca so we can discuss what you had to do.

Thanks,
Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back