Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does the resolution a web page is built in make a difference? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aishaa

Technical User
Apr 12, 2001
CA
Hi - I was wondering whether the resolution a web page is built in makes a difference to the size (I am concerned about width) of the final page when viewed by people besides me?

The reason I ask is that when I change my resolution from 800 x 600 to 1064 x 768 and I go to Microsoft Internet Explorer's home page, that page does not span the width of my screen (I have a 19" screen). Also when I go to a site I have redesigned for a customer, many of the pages are smaller than the screen width. But if I change the resolution back to 800x600 the pages fit.

The original reason the customer asked me to redo his site was that the pages were too big widthwise and one had to scroll from left to right when viewing his site. Could the problem have been that the original person who built the first site built it using a higher resolution?
If so, then what is the usual resolution a web page or site is built in?
TIA

If you want the screen to fit to any monitor size you will have to use tables and set them at 100%. Most web pages are set at 800x600 pixels. I have set my webpage so that it adjust to any screen size. People have various opinions on this but you have to do what your customer wants.
Dave Waters

You can put all page content inside tables andset width to 100% so it resizes, but this often screws up the layout, so most sizes will fix their tables at 800x600 so it looks the same on all resolutions.

Russ Michaels
russ@satachi.com
For my personal book recommendations visit

You might want to fix the width of the text box so viewers aren't reading right across the screen - about 450px is good. You can then let the rest of the elements have a little room to breathe should it suit the layout.

Set your resolution to 800x600. Most people right now are using that resolution so they one have to scroll left and right. Your 19' is the exception. Building a web page, is like making a Form, u wanna make it easy for the user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back