Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does someone found a esm firmware which lower the sound of PE2650 ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kronick

IS-IT--Management
Oct 24, 2008
FR
Helo guys,
First of all, I'm French, so I apologize if I make mistakes ;)
So I have several servers at home, and a PowerEdge 2650, hence my posting, as you know, fans are extremely noisy, due to the space contrainsts, but, you konw too there is no need for such high rpm (Sensors tell I have two fans at 4k rpm and the others at 7k rpm. That's insane, I spent so much hours betwenn this board and the dell one, but all the solutions providen deal with out dated patches / firmwares. So today, my server is updated with the lastest firmwares : Bios A021, ESM 3.3 and Backplane with 1.84 something like that. I dunno how to do, I saw a member here who said that the ESM he updated lower the fans rpm at 2K, which is a speed I'd like have to.

Thanks.

Cheers - Razique

Go to support.dell.com, select "drivers and downloads" and feed it the appropriate information (service tag, or system type.)

Hi guys
technome, I already have the backplane version 1.01 (the one into the AO2 update) I think this is the last one released for this server.
I'll take a look at other updates which could be related to the backplane.

Ever get this resolved? Maybe solder some inline resistors, or wire the fans in parallel to eachother, using the same 5 and 12 VDC source---this will divide the voltage (2 fans will divide it into 1/2, thus 1/2 the speed then).

Burt

Hi, no this hasn't been resolved yet.
What I can't figure out is why the patches don't work for me.
Burt, so you suggest that I add fans in parralel, but if that divide the voltage, we well have around two fans at 3500 rpm, is it that ?
Moreover, maybe I could simply change fans, to get ones less noisy, Iif you have links, that would be great.
Thanks

...but if that divide the voltage, we well have around two fans at 3500 rpm, is it that ?

Parallel will double the current used, voltage stays the same, with no rpm drop (will the small mobo components take double the current?), series divides the voltage, current the same, fan speed should drop. If the fans are 3 wire, the extra wire is a speed sensor, if you series the fans with a sensor, the mobo is likely just to pump more power to the fans to raise the speed or cause an error situation. An inline resistor would work if the fans do not have a speed sensor.
For fans you might try digikey , Newark.com

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Wow, I was backwards...you are right! I used to do things like this in desktops AGES ago...that and copiers...:)
I was going to suggest an inline resistor, but I believe wiring them in series would be more efficient and easier to manage/calculate speed.
There are no links that I know of (though I am SURE I am not the only one who has done things like this). This is a hack, a rig, whatever you wanna call it, but it works!

Burt

Burtsbees...
"..and copiers" I was maintaining a network and 5 copiers in 1985 maybe 86, the copiers were much tougher than a Novell 2.15 network to maintain [dazed]

Dell complicates servers unnecessarily to make money.
They should stay out of managing backplanes, power, fan speeds etc. Once I pulled a power management module apart (1 1/2"x8"x12") , inside (3) 1 watt resistors and a small capacitor $450.00.

I used to place a potentiometer on a fan lead but now with the 3 wire fans I doubt that would work.

Old BNC days...and the days of the Canon NP6650, version one...and the NP3525...Novell Netware? UF! What about good ole UNIX?

Burt

BNC and Token Ring. Never seriously hit Unix. Copiers I referred to were 3Ms, people servicing these really needed hazmat whites/repirator due to the toner dust, but you have to remember this was the next big technology step after the Gutenberg press. [bigsmile]

That and A.B.Dick. Mesothelioma from toner, chemical burns from MEK...good for cleaning OSI drums though...lol

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back