Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does Size Matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulorlowski

Programmer
Jul 10, 2001
US
I've been getting an increasing number of errors when editing my site, things like Web server busy and problem with Front Page Server Extensions. Tech support at my host Earthlink frequently suggests repairing the FPSE. But they always caution: do I have a backup because it may have unexpected results. It must be a popular fix because they even have a customer control center website where I can log in as an admin and remove the FPSE myself. There is a warning that it may effect the themes and shared borders.
Then next most frequent repair is to "fix" the lock file.

The last time they repaired my extensions, my borders went away and my discussion web had problems. Posts started renumbering at One and combining with the previous number One posts. I found an "articlenumber" in the service.cnf file that I could reset to 850 to fix that.

Two of the reps suggested I may be getting frequent problems because of the size-80 mbs because FPSE was not designed to handle that much. (Did I mention I have Discussion webs with hundreds of items.) They suggested creating subwebs.

Some reps were "shocked" that I edit the live site rather than one on my C: and then publish up to the host. I don't see another option though with live posts coming into my discussion page.

So here's the questions:
1) Does size matter? Is there an approximate size after which FPSE starts being more susceptible to creating problems?

2) Will creating subwebs help?

3) Does removing and reinstalling the extensions always create problems with shared borders or themes or discusion webs?

4) Any suggestions on avoiding the frequent errors?

5) What do others do about editing on the host site rather than on the local computer?

Paul

-

My .02... I'd edit on the live site and make a backup, in your case, at least once a week... maybe more often.

I don't think this will help much, but I had a similar problem with my hosting service. The FP extensions stopped working. What my service told me was this.

I HAD over 3000 files on the server. They told me after awhile that FP would stop responding and the extensions would'nt work. I was told FP had a limit on the number of files it would manage. So, after a bunch of time cleaning out the "root" and other spaces on the server the extensions worked again. Go figure.

I don't have a clue as to why this worked, but it did. So now I keep my server space Very Clean.

Jesse

I have over 4000 files so maybe that is a problem. Did they give you an indication if it was the number files in the root, or total files altogether?
Paul

Hi Paul,

It was the "total" number of files. It didn't matter if it was a sub-domain or not. So what I had to do was eliminate files that for the most part just sat there.

I also found out that if the extensions started acting up that the best thing to do was to back the site up and let the hosting company re-set the site. It's a pain but that seemed to work the best for me.

Jesse

Size does seem to matter. I have 1,000 pages on my site, and after a certain point I found it very difficult to publish the site to the server. It would take an hour and never look like any progress was being made. I was forced to publish individual pages just to get the updates. I turned two folders into subwebs, and suddenly I could publish again. Linda Adams
Linda Adams/Emory Hackman Official Web site Official web site for actor David Hedison:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back