Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does Seagate have to worry about EVERY computer's dlls to exe. Crystal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bojangles

Programmer
May 27, 2000
I am sick and tired of Seagate pretending to be so helpful when it comes to distributing Crystal Reports using Visual Basic 6.  According to the "Seagate techies", a developer must go out all over the world to each target computer and check out exactly how that target computer is configured and what dlls JUST HAPPEN to be already registered on that computer! That is very helpful Seagate!  Do YOU have to worry about what the computer configuration is for a user to use YOUR Crystal Reports Software?????!   No.  You take care of that , don't you?  Well since WE are PAYING YOU to use your software to distribute with VB6,  we should have the same guarantee that your reports will print on the target computers.  BUT it is at best a 50% probability.  I have spent four damn months trying to get Crystal Reports to print reasonably consistantly with my VB application.  I have talked with Crystal reps who seem to be very nice, but hell they don't know how to fix the problem!  IF I ONLY KNEW OF A REPORT GENERATING COMPANY THAT OFFERED A CONVENIENT METHOD TO PRINT MAILING LABELS, I WOULD DROP SEAGATE LIKE A HOT POTATO!   Seagate obviously doesn't have the foresight to care.  If anyone can help, I would be happy to hear from you.

Yikes!<br><br>I can understand your frustration with report distribution and anyone who has had to distribute reports to end users has been through the same issues.<br><br>Hunting down the .dll's needed can be a nightmare. The problem usually arises because of the various functions that are used in each report. As soon as the .dll's are distributed a new report is sent that uses a .dll that was not shipped - so the report blows up.<br><br>it is true I do not know the details of your project, but using Crystal to format a printout for mailing labels seems like overkill. Is there a reason this is not coded from the front end app? Surely there is an .ocx available that can give you some relief. <br><br>Crystal is 99% .dll's and 1% .exe. Plucking the right ones out has caused us all to pull our hair out. I'm afraid I can't offer any real help - just an agreeable &quot;Your right&quot;.<br><br><br> <p>Cody ford<br><a href=mailto:codyford@yahoo.com>codyford@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>VB, VBS, Seagate Info/Crystal Reports<br>

As Clinton would say:&nbsp;&nbsp;&quot;I feel your pain.&quot;&nbsp;&nbsp;We had the same problem with DLL's and, what's more, we were developing reports in CR7 and one of our software products is using CR6.&nbsp;&nbsp;Mucho conflicts.<br><br>Our solution:&nbsp;&nbsp;we switched over from using forms with Crystal OCX controls to using code that utilizes Crystal API calls to their Crystal32.DLL library.&nbsp;&nbsp;Effected DLL's went from about a gazillion to about four or five.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>Hope that helps.

Thanks for your replies.&nbsp;&nbsp;Although still frustrated, it does help to know I'm not alone.<br>Bojangles

I hate dll's too, but I'm not entirely sure it is Crystal who is the problem... I blame Microsoft!!!<br><br>Anyway, one of the things I do when distributing reports is to make my install program install any required DLL's into the application folder.<br><br>I don't know if this will solve your problem, but it makes my life easier (on some days). <p>Paul Wesson<br><a href=mailto:paul@wessoft.com>paul@wessoft.com</a><br><a href= Wesson, Programmer/Analyst</a><br>

From all of the support contacts that I've talked to, I completely agree with Keyersoze.&nbsp;&nbsp;Using Crystal Reports API Print Engine calls is the most effective manor of calling Crystal Reports from any application.&nbsp;&nbsp;The Crystal OCX control is outdated technology that hasn't been updated since version 6, has multiple bugs and limitations, and is only slightly supported in version 8.&nbsp;&nbsp;Most of the difficulty regarding distribution of reports is usually with the system DLLs required for database access, not Crystal Reports processing.

I have not had to face the distribution problem (other than answering questions) and would be interested in some specific examples of the dlls involved.

I am assuming from the comments here that you are installing the Crystal list of required dlls and then finding that list is incomplete becuase of some Seagate assumptions. Or, you are having conflicts with existing dlls.

What dlls are you missing most often that aren't listed on the required dll list and the dependency files? (The required list is in the Developr.hlp file.)

Since this is a common problem, maybe we can pool the answers and make it a FAQ. If you contribute a file it would help to know:

1) The version of Crystal Reports
2) The method of report control (OCX, RDC, etc.)
3) The type of database/connection you were making.

Ken Hamady

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back