Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does PIX support Source NAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

123bihil

Technical User
Sep 17, 2001
CA
Hi,

I have never worked with PIX firewall and I need to do the following.

NAT an Outside IP address to interanl IP address

and

Source NAT, that is all my internal network needs to be NATed to a single IP address (IP Address of PIX)?

Is this possible with PIX firewall?

Thank you,
Tesfay

HI!

Yes, it is possible.

You'll have to use more then 1 registered IP addresses from your ISP, atleast 2 but more is recommended for more flexibility.
one for outbound PAT and one for incoming traffice to a static nat to your server.
The PAT IP address for outbound connection is normally a different IP then the PIX own interface IP but can also be the same if needed.

Bye
Yizhar
Yizhar Hurwitz

You can also do a true sorce NAT, using just the outside intreface IP address, but I do not know the command off the top of my head. I am also not sure what PIX version first supports this.

For the record, the PIX supports NAT, PAT, and Source NAT.

With PIX version 6, you can NAT a single outside address to seperate internal address using port redirection. It is VERY buggy though. We have had major problems with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back