Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

does PABX machine only needs 1-single telco line? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

gergerdotcom

Technical User
Feb 22, 2019
PH
hello all.

though i'm not new to PABX but i've not configured a PABX machine by myself so honestly speaking, i'll accept i'm lacking skills of it and that's the reason i came here because i know this is a good beginning. lol

i'm just wondering for a simple basic PABX machine, how many telco line(s) does it require? i mean does it have like 10 telco lines (from the telephone company)then 1-line is used as "front line number" or the number being dialed outside but the "front line number" will not get busy not unless the telco block of lines are all used (if you know what i mean).

i'm just asking because we have a discussion here in our workplace about PABX in which my colleague said that PABX needs a block of telco lines inorder for it not to get busy with only one front line number as the main line that everyone knows or recognize as the company phone number.

however, correct me if i'm wrong but the way i understand it is that a PABX works like with only 1 paid subscription telco line then a PABX machine inside the office or home which is capable of receiving 5 calls if the PABX has the features of 5-in 5-out so the single telco line will only get busy when all the 5-in's are already full or used so the next incoming call will hear a busy tone if it calls the single telco line unless the call goes to the voicemail or queue-waiting if those are configured ..

and the outgoing call from inside the house or office will get a busy tone if it dial 9 if all the 5-outs are used.

well, those are the way i understand it :)

any way, hope you can enlighten me or those who have some ideas about PABX can also share their expertise.

cheers!

If you have 10 people then you need about 4 lines however it all depends what type of business you have.
If most people are constantly on the phone all day you would need more lines, in some cases a dedicated line/DID.

Line rollovers (equivalency or hunting) are controlled by the carrier.
If line 1 (the main advertised #) is busy next call will roll to line 2 and so on.

Incoming start at the top while outgoing starts at the bottom in most cases.

If all lines are in use then the next caller gets a busy signal because there is no path into the building now to get to the PBX's voice mail system.
You might however have a mailbox from the carrier (Call Answer) in which the call will drop into that mailbox.
Outgoing calls will also get a busy or tone and/or a message on the display.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Just to expand upon the first part of the question. A key system/PBX can operate with only a single telephone line. Still, installing an Avaya Definity for a single incoming telephone line application is extreme overkill.

Curlycord's reply says it all.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00"

thank you all Sir for a very detailed explaination about my inquiry ..

how about a Panasonic KX-TD816 system, what is the minimum carrier it requires to support a number of incoming and outgoing extension numbers?

and is the said device still available nowadays or there are already other much cheaper and effective device??

once again, thanks for the info [thumbsup2]

cheers! [wink]

A panasonic KX-TD816 ...is extremely old kit ...it has the capacity for 8 lines (trunks) and 16 extensions (phones)

It can just operate off x1 line from your carrier ...you would just need to programm it so the other 7 available line ports on the system that had nothing plugged in would not be utilized for calls ,if that is what you want.

ACSS (UC/SBCE/SM/SME)

Not that they mean a thing anymore , get a brain dump pass the test crash the system.

what is the minimum carrier it requires to support a number of incoming and outgoing extension numbers?"

The Carrier has nothing to do with internal extensions, they supply dial tone (lines) only.

Decide how many people/walls/pillars/rooms/offices need a phone.
Determine how many lines you think you might need.

Search for and purchase a system that handles both of those two requirements.
Order the lines from the carrier.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

You comment really looks like a hypothetical question rather than a real life problem to solve.

Basic options:

1: No lines from the telephone company are required for a system to work and no phone is required to have a glorified paperweight.
2: No lines from the telephone company are required for a system to work and a minimum of one phone is required to have a glorified alarm clock.
3: No lines from the telephone company are required for a system to work and a minimum of two phone is required to have a glorified intercom system.
4: One line from the telephone company are required for a system to work and a minimum of one phone is required to have a glorified S/L set.
5: One line from the telephone company with telco provided voice mail are required for a system to work and a minimum of one phone is required to have a glorified minimum system that won't get a busy signal.
6: One line from the telephone company are required for a system to work and a minimum of two phone is required to have a glorified minimum system.
7: One line from the telephone company with telco provided voice mail are required for a system to work and a minimum of two phone is required to have a glorified minimum system that won't get a busy signal.

There is no problem too small to throw other people's money at.

hi again to everyone [smile]

and thanks again also for a very informative inputs [thumbsup2]

it seems that there are plenty of experts on this forum which is good specially not just to me but for everyone who needs technical know-how.

cheers.

Professor Shadow:
Thank you! You made me LOL this rainy Friday morning. :D

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back