Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does nobody here use CEGETTER.BAT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dibbkd

IS-IT--Management
Oct 12, 2002
US
I am pretty new to the forum, but did a search and scanned the subject lines for CEGETTER.BAT and didn't see anyone talking about it (except for the recent question I posed about it earlier).

Does nobody use CEGETTER.BAT or am I the only one using it?

If you don't know what it does, it is basically a batch file that automatically ftp's the most current defs from Symantec and puts it on the parent server so the managed clients get get updated.

If you don't use CEGETTER.BAT, what do you guys use?

-Thanks!

I configure the Master Parent to retrieve the updates directly from the FTP site. Don't need a batch file.

"evil prospers when good men do nothing”

I use it, have it set to run at 1am every morning to pull down new defs. New defs are release mon - fri this way. If you use liveupdate it only updates once a week.

glacierxx, does your Master Parent retrieve daily (M-F) updates from FTP?

FaiTHLeSS, I'm assuming you have CEGetter.bat as a scheduled task? I've found that when I have a scheduled task, the username/pwd in the task has to be the same username/pwd that is logged onto the machine at the current time.

Is there a way around this, or are you doing something different?

I want the scheduled task to run no matter who or even if nobody is logged onto the server.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Im having no problems with it, i usaully just have it at locked screen though, but i just tested it fully logged off and it run fine. Is task scheduler giving a fail code saying its not running or 0x0 saying everything ran ok? I have pasted the 2 files i use below.

cegetter.bat

ftp -s:cescript.txt
call "%systemdrive%\Scripts\SAV-Update\navup8.exe"
move %systemdrive%\Scripts\SAV-Update\*.xdb "C:\Program Files\SAV"
del /q %systemdrive%\Scripts\SAV-Update\navup8.exe

cescript.txt

open ftp.symantec.com
anonymous
nobody@spammer.com
cd public/english_us_canada/antivirus_definitions/norton_antivirus/static
lcd C:\Scripts\SAV-Updatebin
hash
prompt
get navup8.exe
quit

FaiTHLeSS, it's not really CEGETTER.BAT I'm having trouble with, it works fine if I run it manually.

The thing is, when creating a scheduled task, it asks for a username and password, so I put mine in there (with admin rights).

If my other admin logs into the server with his name/pwd, then CEGETTER won't run, or if I am logged out of the server. But the same is true the other way, if my other admin puts his name/pwd in the scheduled task, and he is logged on, it works fine, but then it doesn't run for me when I'm logged on...

Hmm strange what O/S are you on? I dont see why the task should run. Have your tried testing something else with task scheduler to see if that runs when your logged out? Never had this problem before, im running the cegetter.bat on 2 different system both server o/s's and they always run.

I've tried them on W2K and NT4.1 boxes, both act the same way.

I got 1 running on 2k server and 1 on 2k3 server and both seem to run without any problems what so ever.

dibbkd

Just for grins - have you tried putting in the actual ADMINISTRATOR username and pwd rather than YOUR (admin privileged) acct info - I have run into a number of similar issues with Win2K (Pro) and scheduled tasks not running - and often it seems to work better if I put the ADMINISTRATOR username/pwd in (not sure why- but it usually works)

I know it is not the most secure, but it might fix your task issue.

Alternatively - you could try logging in as the ADMINISTRATOR - then creating your task under that profile- then, if it runs when logged out, you can try putting in one of the OTHER username/pwds that you want the job to run under.

Also, may want to verify that the desired profiles have FTP privileges, in case the security policy applied to the OTHER user accts, may PREVENT those users from doing things like FTP.

I use Live Update to retreive def files everyday and it works great, why bother with batch files?

There isnt always live update everyday. Live update defs are released every wednesday or thursday cant remember which or the will release on other days if there is an outbreak of a large virus like they did on monday morning. Otherwise live update is once a week new defs. By using the CEGETTER.bat to get defs you get new defs from mon-fri everyweek.

Somewhat on point, for those interested, below is a modified cegetter.bat file that includes a batch routine to create a running log of downloads via Intelligent Updater (cegetter.bat)
OK or FAILED is added to a log file (avlog.txt), along with the date/time. Two text files are needed: avok.txt and avfail.txt, which are simply text for the log.
All files should reside in root of system drive.
Feel free to suggest any improvements. Enjoy.

BEGIN CEGETTER.BAT

rem INTELLIGENT UPDATER FOR NORTON ANTIVIRUS WITH LOG

rem download file using script
ftp -s:cescript.txt

rem extract and move signature file
call C:\navup8.exe
move C:\*.xdb [YOUR DESTINATION FOLDER HERE]

rem store current date and time in text files
date /t >date.txt
time /t >time.txt

rem copy current log file to temp file
copy avlog.txt avtemp.txt

rem if download good, update log with OK and date/time
if exist navup8.exe copy avok.txt+date.txt+time.txt+avtemp.txt avlog.txt

rem if download bad, update log with DOWNLOAD FAILED and date/time
if not exist navup8.exe copy avfail.txt+date.txt+time.txt+avtemp.txt avlog.txt

rem (optional) copy log to folder accessible via LAN
cd [FOLDER ACCESSIBLE VIA LAN]
copy c:\avlog.txt avlog.txt
c:

rem remove working files
del avtemp.txt
del date.txt
del time.txt

del navup8.exe rem (NOTE: this is mandatory)

END CEGETTER.BAT

BEGIN AVOK.TXT
==OK==
END AVOK.TXT

BEGIN AVFAIL.TXT
==DOWNLOAD FAILED==
END AVFAIL.TXT

Hmm, looking at the original question, scheduled tasks should be run by the System account, not any particular account. Symantec has a doc on making sure the System account has access to do stuff:
The doc is about LiveUpdate, but the stuff about scheduled tasks would apply to cegetter just as well.

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Dibbkd,

Try this. Remove cegetter from the task scheduler and use the AT command from a command prompt. I schedule it to run every half hour so that I'm never more than 29 minutes behind the release of a definition file. Enter the following on the command line:

AT 01:00 AM /every:sunday,monday,tuesday,wednesday,thursday,friday,saturday c:\cegetter.bat

(the above was wrapped by the box, and was typed all on one line)

Add an entry for every time of the day you want cegetter to run.

I modified the batch file to change to drive C: first and then execute a couple of 'cd..' commands so that the root of C: is where the command runs from. You may not have to do this. To find out, open a command window. If the window opens at the root of C:, you're ok. If not, modify the batch file with the exact commands it would take to get there.

If you do this, it will work flawlessly (or should I say perfectly?).

Bob

I have a client who uses the Rcegetter.bat file.

My client's server was running out of drive space because of the .xdb files that are downloaded every time Rcegetter updates. These have been manually deleted.

Is it possible to set the batch file to remove the .xdb files after they are downloaded?

Or is it easier to manually delete them every so often?

mcleodal,
The batch file I use *moves* the *.xdb file so it is removed from the root of C: every time the batch file runs: move C:\*.xdb [YOUR DESTINATION FOLDER HERE]
Or, you could *copy* it to your destination and then add a line to *delete* it: del C:\*.xdb
Either of these will work, and I highly suggest using one of them, rather than letting them accumulate.

rcegetter.bat uses the line:

move %systemdrive%\*.xdb <path>

Try putting /y on the line:

move /y %systemdrive%\*.xdb <wherever>

(Unless you're using NT4, in which case don't.)

The move command should be deleting the old files.

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

I would highly recommend using xdbdown rather than cegetter. Cegetter was created when 7.5 hit the market. The new batch file does a much better job. Also, if there is not an update it will not waste the bandwidth. Not only that, you can configure it to get rapid release definitions (Don't do this on your primary server).

Also, to clear up some possible confusion, Live Update does not get daily updates. It will get updates weekly unless there is a threat that hits or is going to hit level 3.

You can get the new script at the following address:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back