Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does my computer support PCI Express video cards? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

osika

Technical User
Jun 30, 2002
US
Hello,

I have a Dell Precision Workstation 530. Below is a link to the documentation with regards to expansion slots:

Does my computer support PCI Express cards?

If not, does it support AGP 4x/8x?

If not either of those, is PCI a good expansion slot to use for a video card?

I'm a little confused by the documentation and don't want to purchase the wrong card type.

Thanks for all your help.

Ryan

No to the PCI-E card
Yes to the AGP 4x
No the the AGP 8x

Get an AGP 4x card if you can find them, much better than PCI.

The most powerful 4X AGP card was the Nvidia
Geforce4 4600Ti
But many early 8X AGP cards were auto volt setting (both types)so could be installed in the older 4X slot (1.5volts)

4X is 1.5volts
8X is 0.8volts

Although I can't be 100% positive I think the best card you could buy that would work would be something like an ATI Radeon 9800 series?? or Nvidia's FX5900/5950 series, although these are all 8X AGP cards I'm fairly certain they work in a 1.5volt 4X slot but please be sure check first as this is just from memory.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Excellent! I went with an ATI Radeon 9800 series card. I ordered it from a place that I'm easily able to return it to should it not work. But, I'm confident it will! Thanks so much for the great advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back