Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does MS PUBLISHER have a lasso tool ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnclevett

Programmer
Mar 19, 2011
I would like to use a lasso tool. For exmaple to put a round logo on to a picture page. Any way round this welcome.

Hi johnclevett

Publisher doesn't have a lasso tool like Photoshop but there are most probably a couple of ways to do this depending on the colouring of your logo.

If you have a logo that is round with a white outer background then you could use the 'Set Transparent Colour' tool ( on the picture toolbar ) to set the white background to clear. The downside with this is that if the logo has any white portions in it then those areas too will be transparent. The work-around for that is to paste a white colour filled circle or oval behind the logo. It is a work-around but it will do the job quite quickly provided that the logo has clean clear edge demarcation between the colour and the background.

The other way to achieve this result usually takes a bit longer but if you are going to use the logo in a number of places it might be better to do it this way and that is to use the 'Edit Wrap Points Tool'. This tool is also the Picture toolbar or you can get to it via the menu; Arrange > Text Wrapping > Edit Wrap Points. To do a bit of image editing you will most probably need to be on a higher zoom resolution of at least 150 to 200% then with the logo selected click this button and the image outline will change to have a red broken line border with a number of black boxes at angle change points around along the border.
As you hover your mouse over one of these points they become an edit point - click and hold down to move to a place where you want to define as the picture border. You can add as many edit points as you need to by clicking at any point on the red border and then dragging the new point to the next angle change point. You can get a relatively smooth curve that is most probably as good as you will need for most publishing applications but obviously not quite to the standard of photo editing software.

I hope this helps you do what you are trying to achieve.

Regards

Makonz

I just discoverd this feature myself recently - good description, Makonz!

Fred Wagner

Excellent News. Thank you very much Makonz. these two features have enabled me to set up a round logo and a coat of arms on a mixed image background. John Levett. Thanks again, especially for such a prompt response.
i

Excellent News. Thank you very much Makonz. these two features have enabled me to set up a round logo and a coat of arms on a mixed image background. John Levett. Thanks again, especially for such a prompt response.
i

Good work John, great to hear that you managed to get the job done satisfactorily.

And thanks also Fred for your comment.

Cheers

Makonz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back