Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does Legato cross NFS Mounts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnixSkunk

IS-IT--Management
Oct 16, 2002
US
HI, everyone....
I'm just curious if anyone here knows...does Legato backup across NFS mounts? If I mount a file system from one machine to another Machine1:/test to machine2:/test2...Will Machine1:/test get backed up when I back up machine2:/test2. if I mounta Machine1:/test on Machine2:/test2? Any way to make this happen if it doesnt?

UnixSkunk - Tux's Evil Nemesis

No, It will backup the link that is all. You can read the man page on save, you might be able to force it to work.

There are problems inherent with backing up an nfs link, the two that come to mind are 1)Your network taking a double hit first data has to go from A to B then the Backup server. Not a great idea. 2) ownership and permissions might get screwed up.

It is always best practice to back up the data where it originates. Buy a couple more connections or that client pack you need in the long run you will be better off.

John7

I agree that you should backup the data from the client and not over a NFS mount, but it does work. We have been doing this for years on Solaris boxes (2.6 - 8) as well from multiple Auspex and NetApp filers.

Just Create a mount point on your backup server (if it's running Unix) and mount the exported filesystem from the client on the backup server and add the mountpoint as a saveset in an existing or new client for the backup server.

For example:
On backup server mkdir /nsr/mnt
mount client:/exported/directory /nsr/mnt

Now run a backup of the client containg the saveset /nsr/mnt

We've been doing this since NetWorker 5.0 with NO Problems.

Remember to add the mount(s) to the vfstab or, better yet, auto_direct and activate autofs.

-Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back