Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does it really worth a trial? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleidia

Technical User
May 4, 2001
FR
Hello,

I'm currently creating a few personal projects hoping
they would become a source of revenues but while making
them, there are several times when I feel the urge to
give up because I have the feeling that earning even
small incomes (like a typical salary) from websites has become almost impossible these days.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think people use the internet mainly for emails and that stirring people toward web services that are not for free is very very difficult (impossible?) nowadays. People go to well known big websites and the quantity of websites makes it very hard to increase your traffic.

Am I too pessimistic or still oportunities are existing?
I would be really happy to have opinion from people who know
about it.

Thank you very much.

Some may call you realistic rather than pessimistic.

Still, my largest competitor sells probably 100x more than I do, yet I make more than enough to live on. They have better selection, I have better price.

If you can find something that you can do better, there are still opportunities.

--------------
School supplies for the needy:

Hello Foxdev,

Could you tell me how long did it take from the time
you launched your site to the time you got a sufficient
monthly salary?

Did you advertise a lot?

Do you think selling services is a worthable idea?
My idea: making publishers pay to have their products listed in my database that anybody could browse easily for free.

Thank you very much.

I think you should allow at least six months for the site to start generating an income worth much, assuming you are starting from scratch selling a product.

I spend about $500/month advertising on Overture and Google.

For directories (which is what you are talking about), I'd not pin a lot of hopes on it. There are already so many business directories, so you'd really have to be in a niche market to make it work. --------------

Thanks Foxdev,

Having your opinion is very useful at this time when I feel quite depressed regarding my projects.
The more I think about them, the more I think they won't generate any income. I have to be more creative but as always I wish I had come to the internet business a lot more earlier, when there was room for new ideas.
Have a good day.

Hi,
Don't be depressed. There are always opportunities. One just need to think on it. However, I do agree that putting up a directory won't really work ...

You see, the internet is full of people who think that they can be instantly rich. Just put up a site and it will sell itself without any real effort by the person who owns it (passive income). In reality, internet businesses are just like any physical business and requires a lot of work.

Personally, I feel that businesses that sells tangible products tends to do better than services. Unless if your service is fantastically different (maybe it is because there are too many people who wants to start businesses that have zero cost and 100% profit margin --too many sites offering that). Also, advertising money have gone under the red-line these few year and most companies won't pay a dime unless they get tangible result (normally associated with $$). So, unless you can guarantee them $$, they normally won't pay.

My 2 cents is that you should focus on differentiating yourself from your competitors. "Value Add" and "Customer Service". You'll be surprised that people react better to sites that they know they are dealing with a human instead of an automated program...

Typically, a site that sell products needs between 3~8 months to be able to stand on itself. A site that sells service normally takes longer (except for professional services). The kind of 'directories' you are talking about takes at least 1~2years to build. The reason is that before you can generate money from it, you need to build community/traffic first. Only after you have a community/traffic, will the 'advertisers' consider a few bucks on you. It is not so simple as 'build-it-and-they-will-come'.

Advertising can be expensive, but you can start with about $100~$200 a month. Once you get a constant and sizable customer-base, your business will have enough momentum to roll on its own. Like the good saying goes 'Good Things Sell Itself' -- however, you need to build momentum first :) Without momentum, it won't work. So, when you start, you need to start with a bang. Generate enough momentum and a few people talk about your business at the same time, and words will spread. I believe in 'Relationship Marketing'. Basically, your customer sell for you (they tell their friends about you).

There are definately opportunities out here, just think on it. It probably won't make you a millionaire, but making a nice living should not be a problem. This is especially true with the internet where you're connected to so many low cost suppliers/sources from Asia. It is much easier to do business now than ever ... don't give up :)

regards,
- Joseph
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Visit --> for (Replica) Watches, Pen, Handbags, Hats, Jerseys and more ... at prices that makes your code spin ...
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Hello Fhlee and thanks for your piece of advice. It's not the first time you responded to one of my post also (it's a pity the frequentation rate of this forum is sow low though. It would have been nice to get opinions from many different people).

Concerning the business option, I can't afford selling goods for several reasons. What you said about selling services looks realistic and a little bit scary (would never wait 2 years before incomes take off).

Of course I never planned to become rich. A monthly salary would be enough.

My bet is that if the service is useful enough, and starts being popular, I won't have to use much money for advertisement. But if what you say is right, the directory idea isn't a good idea.

That's why I'm starting to think about other ideas.

Have a good day.

PS: I've posted another question here thread84-397256

I think it all depends on the product.

I built a website for my husband and brother-in-law several years ago ( We were manufacturing carts in Mexico and selling them in the USA, but soon it was apparent that the buisness couldn't handle the problems of production in Mexico. My hubbie pulled out and left the business with his brother. I signed over the website to the brother at least 4 years ago.

He has not made one change to the website since then. I still get inquiries directed to me because he hasn't changed the few links to me. He is making a living off of it! He still gets enough traffic and buisness to pay his bills. He doesn't do any other advertising... I used to write advertisments to go in magazines to drive people to our site. That worked.

It really is all in the product. I think to do well, you have to figure out how to make people aware of your product and your service and then give them a reason to do buisness with you (low-cost, value-add, only outlet, etc.) Marketing is not easy, but if you want to do it, go for it!

Yrs,
The Moonhare

MoonHare, thanks a lot for your feedback on this thread and the other one.
Have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back