Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

does Integrated Security work with Crystal Reports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaijanm

Programmer
May 14, 2003
US
I'm trying to run some reports on my intranet application that is set up to use integrated authentication and when I ran the report expert, integrated security was an option, so I checked it and it then didn't ask for a username and password. In the IDE, it seems to connect to the DB just fine, but when I actually run the application, I get LOGON FAILED.

CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.LogOnException: Logon failed.

Has anyone succeeding in getting this to work?

Thanks!
Kimberly

Integrated Authentication is like saying you use software, there are different types. NT AUthentication? LDAP? OLE DB Services with some proprietary authentication? or?

Do you use Crystal Enterprise?

Or writing your own code?

There are 1000's of applications using Crystal and integrated security around the world, everything from Fox to Delphi, to VB, to ASP, to PHP, to...well you get the idea.

Why would the report log into the database BEFORE the application runs?

-k

I am using Integrated Security aka Windows Authentication aka NT Authentication.

In my web.config file, I have this line:
<authentication mode="Windows"/>

My asp.net intranet application runs w/o ever asking the user to log on. It knows who the user is authenticated because they are logged into the domain through windows. When the app gets to the db server it runs under the currently logged-in users permissions. This works great for my entire application, but I'm having trouble getting it to run through on the crystal reports I developed.

I'm using the version of Crystal Reports that comes with VS.Net 2003. My DB is SQL Server 2000.

"Integrated Security" is an option when you run the report wizard and try to connect through OLE DB to the provider for SQL Server.

Is anyone else doing this? Did you have problems with this? Have you tried to do this and it wouldn't work? Any pointers for me?

TIA!
Kimberly

I had already seen this previously. It seems that someone else must be doing this or they have a good secure work around. Has anyone done anything to get around this problem?

TIA.
Kimberly

Hi,
Is there some major reason you do not want to follow this advice?:

It is STRONGLY recommended that you use SQL Authentication with your reports, providing a SQL username and password at runtime for database access.

[profile]

Doesn't that mean that the user would have to log on? If I'm wrong, please clarify. :)

I don't want to make the users log on to my app if they're already logged into Windows. The users will be using the app all day long and if they have to type in a username and password every time they want to run a report, I can see my head rolling on the floor. I think that would greatly upset them. :)

If I'm wrong about this, please tell me.

Also, what about these possibilities:
Create a user that has permisson on only SELECT SPROCS (therefore, they can't change anything) and then put that in at design time? Security problems?

Getting rid of Crystal all together and using SQL Reporting Services?

Anyone have input on these ideas?

:) Kimberly

The SQL Reporting Services is a VERY interesting product to me, but far from being mature.

They should be able to eventually blow Crystal away due to their flexibility and lower costs.

When Microsquish gitz ya in the crosshairs, either surrender or run...

-k

Hi,
You could pass the username/password in your code for the connection object ( I think) that way the user would never see or need it..
( Don't use SqlServer so not sure..)
Just a thought.

[profile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back