Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does InDesign do frame "tags"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeT999

Technical User
Jul 21, 2010
US
I'm quite new to InDesign.

Does it allow one to name and save the attributes of a frame, so the attributes can be easily applied to other frames?

If so, how does one do it? I've really scoured InDesign's menus, etc.

(Elaborating: Ventura Publisher allows one to do this. One can create a frame of a specific size, with specific margins, etc., and then save the style ("tag" in VP-speak)with a unique name. That named tag can be easily applied to other frames, formatting each exactly like the original one.)

Thanks. --Mike

...look into "object styles" (window > object styles)...

...create a style for a frame and whilst selected click the new style button, bottom of the object styles palette...

...all object styles don't take into account the target object dimensions, as you can apply them to any size or shaped objects in indesign...

andrew

============
============

Thanks, Andrew.

But from what you wrote, it appears one can't create a frame with specific attributes (size, margins, position, rules, etc.) and then save those attributes as a specific style that can be applied to any number of frames.

Hmmmmm.

-- Mike

...object styles don't take into account X Y coordinates, or dimensions...

...margins of text frames it will do...

...not really sure what you are trying to achieve...

...if you want common items in a particular position/size/style and on many pages, you need to use master pages (combined with object styles, character styles, paragraph styles etc) for easier editing if need be...

andrew

============
============

>>>>...not really sure what you are trying to achieve...

We're importing a 200-page book that's in PDF. Each imported page is placed on the underlying InDesign page by dragging it open from the upper left-hand corner.

The problem with this method is the resulting page frames aren't the exact same size. Adjusting their size and position by hand is tedious and inefficient.

If I could create a style that defined the size of the graphic frame (768 x 1024 px in this case), then I could apply it to each graphic frame and all 200 frames would be exactly the same size.

Again, ancient Ventura Publisher has this capability, and it was very handy. I guess I'm surprised InDesign can't do it.

-- Mike

...if you import pdf files manually, then you really need to use a master page, with a picture box already there in position, but change the frame fitting options to center the imported PDF pages:

...then import your PDF with ALL pages, and simply click on each page you create, the frame fitting options applied to the master frame will be honored...

...if your pdf pages have bleed, then you can simply change the master image frames to extend the trim edge and all pages will update on the fly...

andrew

============
============

Thank you very much, Andrew; you've given me a lot to work with.

(The Master Page option hadn't occured to me. I was aware of scripts, but figured at this point I might be biting off more than I could chew.)

Thanks again. --Mike

...the idea that ventura had with styles including position and size had me thinking it was possible Adobe had thought about it and not considered it for whatever reason, on the face of it, it doesn't sound like a bad idea...

...the next best thing i can think of is using the "object > transform > transform again" functions in indesign...

...useful functions, however i think in your situation the solution is to use another method from the start, cutting out as much manual work as possible...

...i've no doubt that indesign is arguably the best long document tool in the business (with Quark also right up there too). Inevitably though, even with all the bells and whistles long document tasks can certainly be mundane work anyway...

...but with regards multiple image/pdf page importation, indesign has the best solution i have used in the trade, it's come a long way from easing that pain somewhat...

andrew

============
============

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back