Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does FLOOR() function in shapesheet use inches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DROFNUD

MIS
Oct 16, 2001
GB

Hi.
re: Visio 2000

In a shapesheet the formula "=ThePage!PageWidth" gives 297mm as expected, but "=FLOOR(ThePage!PageWidth)" gives 279.4mm.

I've been a programmer for more years than I like to remember and I thought FLOOR() of an integer returns that very same integer. Nevertheless: I tried INT() and got the same thing. CEILING() gives 304.8mm.

The difference between the two values is 25.4mm which is exactly one Inch. My document is using millimeters - What is going on?

Cheers.
Si...

That is a problem with Visio that is still in Visio 2003.

From one of the Visio developer's:
"All Visio functions work with internal units, so the Shapesheet was dutifully converting the value to internal units before performing the rounding operation. Note that the functions CEILING and FLOOR allow you to pass in the rounding value. If you set the units on this explicitly, you will get the right answer. FLOOR(35.8 mm,1 mm) = 35 mm"

John... Visio MVP

John,

Thanks for the help, I wasn't aware of the second parameter. I'll give it a go...

Si...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back