Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does Exchange need to be added to AD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyEyesAreBurning

IS-IT--Management
Jul 13, 2006
US
Does Exchange need to be added to AD?
In Exchange 2003 you need to make sure that the server was part of the domain... I know that exchange07 does not use AD directly but uses Active Directory Application Mode (ADAM) should I join the domain or not?
Any advice would be great,
thanks in advance,
MEAB

I know that exchange07 does not use AD directly but uses Active Directory Application Mode (ADAM)

That's not quite true. Exchange uses AD. The Edge Transport role uses ADAM since that server is not a domain member. All other Exchange server roles require domain membership.

Pat Richard
Microsoft Exchange MVP

Figured out the problems... Blew the last installation away and started fresh. I ended up joining the exchange box to AD. I installend the server as a Hub transport server then Configured the send and recieve connectors and made sure that DNS was working properly, meaning on the WAN side. also added a MX record to the internal DNS server although Im not sure that I need to...
From what I have been reading... edge servers are used more for permiter networks and are less secure, these are benifical because the edge server will recive and send both the incomming and outgoing mail VIA the send and recive connectors and will communicate with AD using (ADAM) Active directory application mode,and handle all of the spam and antivirus processing leaving the back end servers to process and route mail to the proper mail boxes. also got owa working and seems to be fine. Now on to Outlook Anywhere AKA RPC/HTTP/s
whis is the next post...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back