Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does DBE really save in permanent storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nahuelito

Programmer
Jul 2, 2003
AR
I made a StartTransacion call, inserted a register, made a Commit call, and then after that, I killed my program (or i reseted my pc).
The register dissappeared.
Why it disappeared...??? i had commited the transactio and there were no errors.

When you run the application from the compiler, the DB won't save in permanent storage, the compiler creates a temporal db to make the operations.

If you want to save the data to the DB, run it from windows.

---LastCyborg---

lastcyborg,

I think your last comment is not correct. You can run a application using the BDE from the IDE. It will save the data to the tables. I have do so without any problems.

I have been checking about that.

Sometimes the compiler save it in permanent storage and sometimes not, so I thought that BCB was creating a temporal DB.

I wrote that without any foundament, so I'm really sorry for that.

---LastCyborg---

The situation is that BDE has cashing capabillities, so BDE decides when to write-to/read-from memory and when to do it the "hard way", in order to increase the processing speed. The cheapest solution is to flush all the BDE's cash and then everything is FOR SURE in underlying table. But, you can not use VCL for this, it is BDE API function. Look at the BDE help file for this.

As far as I remember, everything goes to the tables, even if I run from the IDE, with one exeption. If I don't call post() or goes to an other record, the last change is lost. By the way, check out the components EasyTable. I've not used BDE the last year, and as far as I know, Borland has stopped all development of BDE.

I just remember that anything from the Ide is not absolut and any testing for stability should be done outside of the IDE. I dont worry about if the record is saved to the table or not from the IDE. As I have run into the problem of opening the next time from the IDE to find an empty table or other inconsistencies. The BDE is buggy and full of problems (as if microsoft or I did the code for the BDE)and no wonder that they are discontinuing it. The are probably going to build from scratch and we will see a new database engine in a few years, Maybe.

tomcruz.net

Butthead, those same "bugs" have happenned to me, but those are not bugs, and BDE is not buggy! There are too many things in BDE that can be misused or misunderstood. But, as far as I remember (don't do database anymore...) if you hold it 'tight', BDE won't make you problems.
And, by the way, BDE is discontinued because it is too old, in favour of dbExpress, and I don't think that Borland is going to make another DB engine, it is too hard to compete with Oracle, Microsoft, MySQL... =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back