Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does CR have the capabilities of forcasting? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlp118

Programmer
Jul 23, 2001
US
I have a report that shows my sales over the past 2 months. Does CR have a function that can take that data and get the average of what we sold on any given day of the week and forcast what we should sell over the next 2 months? Or am I just having a case of wishful thinking?

You might write a formula. I have a formula to show me the % of inc/dec between two years of data

if Sum ({@Quarter 1}, {INCIDENT.MAIN_OFF_CODE}) <> 0 then
(Sum ({@Quarter 2}, {INCIDENT.MAIN_OFF_CODE}) - Sum ({@Quarter 1}, {INCIDENT.MAIN_OFF_CODE})) / Sum ({@Quarter 1}, {INCIDENT.MAIN_OFF_CODE}) * 100
else if Sum ({@Quarter 1}, {INCIDENT.MAIN_OFF_CODE}) = 0 then
Sum ({@Quarter 2}, {INCIDENT.MAIN_OFF_CODE}) * 100

maybe you can use the same principle and change the formula to get the average of the sums and project your new field?????

But maybe someone else has an easier way...

Just a single number for total sales for 2 months? Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting
Quick Reference Guide to using Crystal in VB

No it is not a single figure for 2 months worth. I have it broken down like this....

Customer XYZ
Monday 07/02/01 500.00 pounds
Monday 07/09/01 300.00 pounds
Monday 07/16/01 400.00 pounds
Monday 07/23/01 400.00 pounds

Let's assume that these were my only sales for last month. What I need is to be able to have CR come up with this report first. Then....forcast that we usually sell an average of 400.00 pounds a week to this customer.

I need to be able to view ALL my customer's sales for a given time period. Then have CR forcast who buys what on what day of the week and aprx. how much. If this is at all possible, please let me know.
Thanks,
Jeff :cool:

I meant to say:
Is your forecast a single number?

If those 4 records were the existing records, can you give me an example of what your desired projection would actually look like?

I assume you want more than simply:

400.00 pounds per week. Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting

What I would imagine the forcast to look like is something like this:

Customer Day Avg./Forcast Product

Customer XYZ Mondays 400.00 Blue
Customer ABC Wednesdays 1200.00 Blue
Total Blue: 1600.00

Customer EFG Mondays 500.00 Green
Customer LMN Thursdays 100.00 Green
Total Green: 600.00

What this will tell me is I need to have all my raw materials in order to make 1600.00 of Blue for one week. I will also now know that I need to order my raw materials in order to make 600.00 of Green. Does this help at all???

Thanks,

Jeff

Can be done, but would involve some advanced techniques. Because you are grouping this data differently than the original data, I think you will need a subreport using the same data for the forecast as for the main report.

In the subreport, Group by Color, by Customer and by DayOfWeek (a formula). Calculate the average for Group 3, then hide all sections except GF1 and GF3. Put the fields to print on GF3

To total the averages you will need a running total using variables. See the FAQ on running totals and use the 3-formula technique. Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting

Thanks again for your help Ken. I get what you are saying. I'll try that. It should work.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back