Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does CR have field limitations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

malk

MIS
Dec 12, 2000
US
I have been using CR 8 to connect to a CSV file through an ODBC connection. I have many deifferent CSV files that I've been using succesfully. I have one file with almost 100 fields. For some reason, instead of using the field names Crystal gave the fields names f1, f2, f3, ... f99. This makes it almost impossible to work with. you have to browse the data to figure out what field you are dealing with. Is there a limit in CR? If yeas, is there a work around?

Are you saying some of the CSV files work, but not this one?

Are there any illegal characters in the field names in this one? I have seen this behavior with spaces and some symbols in field names. Ken Hamady
Crystal Reports Training/Consulting and a
Quick Reference Guide to VB/Crystal (including ADO)

malk: This is standard behaviour for CR when using the Text ODBC driver unless you define the format of your file. Good advice would be to ensure that the first record of your CSV contains the field names and then you can simply choose Column Name Header and Guess and the ODBC source will display your field names David C. Monks
david.monks@chase-international.com
Accredited Seagate Enterprise Partner

I have a program that creates these CSV files in the same manner for all my CSv files. This one is no exception. i am going to look for funny characters in the start of field names.

I checked this CSV file and there are no funny characters. All my other CSV files work fine. The only difference between this one and the others are the amount of fields. This one has almost 100 fields, the others have under 50.

Wild shot, none of the field names start with a number, do they?

Otherwise, I am stumped.
Of course I don't do that much with CSV. Ken Hamady
Crystal Reports Training/Consulting and a
Quick Reference Guide to VB/Crystal (including ADO)

The reason that you are getting F1, F2, F3 etc, is within the ODBC connection itself. Go into the created ODBC entry that you made, and click on "Configure", then "Options".

Within here, you can specify the name of the field that you have within your CSV file. Basically follow DCM's post that was entered within above. I believe he is on the right track.

Anyways, the answer is within the ODBC connection itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back