Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

does command bandwith exist

Status
Not open for further replies.

misterwolf

Technical User
Jun 15, 2003
NL
Hello,

We have a Power ADSL line of 8 mb/sec but we keep losing connection with ISP. The problem seems to be the distance to the nearest telephoneline central (6.5 Km) The modems we had before tried to get a connection as fast as possible. We always got/get a connection around 7000 kbit/sec, very good! But a couple of times a day we loose connection. We were advised to buy a Cisco 826 router because then we could set the max bandwith for the router to make a connection. I tried to find the right mode and or command but was until now unsuccesfull. Please help or advise.

thanks very much.

Dick

Hey wolf,
The command needs to be issued from interface mode. In my case, it is S0 (Serial port zero).
2505(config-if)#bandwidth ?
<1-10000000> Bandwidth in kilobits
So, if you issued bandwidth 1544, you would be setting T1 speed on that interface. Here is the output:
2505#sh int s0
Serial0 is up, line protocol is up
Hardware is HD64570
Internet address is 172.16.1.101/16
MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1544 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec, rely 255/255, load 1/255
Hope this helps.

It was my understanding that the bandwidth command was only used for monitoring, and not actually limiting/setting the bandwidth. I could be wrong though. :)

Baddos, you are correct. The bandwidth command does not set the actual bandwidth of the link. It is only used for routing metrics.

Chris.

Chris Andrew, CCNA, CCSA
chris@iproute.co.uk

Some of the Cisco ADSL routers support the DSL LINERATE command, although I dont think the 826 does.

There is a method of reducing the traffic rates using traffic shaping, but it dosent alter the actual line rate that you connect at. Maybe this is what your advisor was referring to?
I thought the conection rate is specifed on your profile based on the login username and password, this will be configured on your router?

The bandwidth command has no impact on the interface performance, its used to tell dynamic routing protocols and SNMP based management applications what speed the interface runs at. You need to set the bandwidth to the line rate so that any application that needs to know the interface speed gets the correct number.

You could use debug interface ATM to see why the interface goes down, save the output to a text file and wait until another failure, it may indicate whats going on.

Hello evreybody,

I think i have to go back to my ISP xs4all and confront them with bad advising. They only want to set a profiel for my account of a standerd 2000 kb/sec. I think it is possible to have a much faster connection thus i'm not realy pleased with this solution.
Does someone has a sollution?
I wil use the ATM debug and will let you know.

Wolf

Are you paying for 2meg or 8meg? I would be very supprised if you got 8meg ADSL at 6.5Km from the exchange! We only offer 2meg up to 5.5Km.

Chris.

Chris Andrew, CCNA, CCSA
chris@iproute.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back