Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does CE 8 have any advantage to Seagate Info 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandrews

MIS
May 31, 2001
US
We were sent the 'free upgrade' to Crystal Enterprise 8. I am trying to determine what the differences between CE and Seagate Info are, and whether or not we should use CE.

any thoughts are appreciated.

sandrews: CE8 is the replacement for Info so the question is not whether you should use CE8 but when. There are a number of differences between the current releases of SI7.5 and CE8 but over the next few months there are expected to be more releases of CE8 with more of the Info functionality transferred over. Short form = check for the features you need to use and wait to go to CE8 if they are not yet in the product or go now if they are.

Differences are (based on CE8 Professional)
CE8 totally web - no Windows client
CE8 written in version of ASP code so easily tailored
CE8 uses same infrastructure as Info plus a few more back end processes
CE8 reports designed using Crystal Reports 8.5 - no inbuilt report designer
CE8 currently not got: scheduling to calendar templates, events, notification, report packages, program, query or in-built cube objects - CE8 will have own Crystal Analysis Professional cube viewer but no cube builder (initial version of CAP only SQL Server OLAP)
CE8 has no archiving i.e. no Storage Server

Hope this helps but if you need any more just ask!

David C. Monks
david.monks@chase-international.com
Accredited Crystal Decisions Enterprise Partner

I got the same problem like Sandrews. I was told, that Seagate Info aint compatible with win2000. Therefore wo got to migrate.
We got told, das Crystal Enterprise & Reports 8.5 no loger supports Reports developed with SQL-Designer. 90 per cent of our reports are based on sql-Queries. Is ist true, that these reports cant be scheduled by Crystal enterprise 8.0.

our standard-report get the data by this path

ibm DB2/390 -> ODBC-connection -> Seagate SQL -> Seagate Report ->scheduled by Seagate Info 7.0.

This no longer works in Crystal Enterprise, is this true?

Thanks, the Information helped a lot. And about the win2k compatibility: I got the release-notes vor mr2 from crystal decisions hompage, and there where paramters vor Info with win2k descriped.

B-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back