Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does BO retrieves the entire table first and then filters? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enea

Technical User
Feb 23, 2005
US
When I run queries like the following in Business Objects:

Select [field] from
WHERE [field] IN ('a','b','c');

Does BO retrieve the entire table first? and then filters 'a', 'b', 'c'?

If that is the case, can I do anything to change that?

BO generates an SQL statement that is executed within the database. If the filters you mentioned are present in the where clause of the SQL, then only the data that is selected with the SQL is returned.

Ties Blom

Great. Thank you.

If you're using Crystal Reports in BO, there are some circumstances where some of the data is filtered by Crystal rather than by the database - for example, when you use a function in Crystal as a data filter.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

In a very similar way BO will allow you to filter the dataset retrieved (global or object filter).
I special cases this can be very handy. For instance when adding a condition to the query will reduce performance in the SQL (like having condition on non-indexed text fields)

Ties Blom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back