Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does BE10.0 need a certain W2K Service pack level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Labone

IS-IT--Management
Apr 14, 2003
GB
We have just upgraded from BENT8.6 to BEWS 10.0 and I have pushed out the Remote Agent to all my remote servers (mixture of W2K and NT4). Everything backs up fine except for one server, which just happens to be our Oracle database server. I have installed the Oracle Agent with no problems and see both this and the remote Agent running in the Services snap-in.
When I run a backup job, and it tries to backup this particular remote server it fails with the message:
The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup exec for Windows Servers remote agent. Make sure the Remote Agent is installed on the target computer and is running.

Well it is. I have removed it and re-installed it, rebooted, etc. several times and always get the same error.
This server is running W2K SP2. I am suspecting that BEWS10.0 needs W2K to be at a certain Service Pack level to run its agents, but can't find any information whether this suspicion is right or wrong.
Does anyone know if this is what is causing my problem, or might there be another reason?

Backup exec will suppport any service pack on Windows 2000. Just a side note your NT machines are unsupported in Backup Exec 10.x

Make sure the remote agent on the box in question ins version 10.x You can search the machines for beremote.exe and right click and find the version.

Also make sure from your backup exec server if you can ping the problem server by name and is it resolving correctly. Also you should be able to telnet remoteserver 10000 and get funny charater. This means the remote agent port is working.

Select the Oracle server for backup as normal - then go into Resource credentials and make sure an account is specified for the Oracle resource (preferably use the System Logon Account).

Thanks to both of you.
I have followed your advice and everything checked out OK after removing and reinstalling the Remote Agent on the Remote server.
However, I still have the same error message when attempting to back up our Oracle database on this remote server using the Oracle Agent.
I have checked and double-checked all the logon credentials, re-typed passwords, restarted services, etc. but I am getting the same error message I was getting before regarding the Remote Agent for Windows servers.
Scenario is:
I create a backup job which backs up a couple of files in the file system of the remote server. I go into Resouce credentials and 'Test'. Test is successful so I run the job and it is successful.
I create another backup job for the same remote server but this time I select the Oracle database using the Oracle Agent. I go to Resource credentials and test the credentials. This time it doesn't say 'Successful' or 'Failed' it just stays at 'Untested'.
I then run the job and it fails saying the Remote Agent is unavailable, not the Oracle Agent.
Is this just mis-reporting in BE? Is it really the Oracle Agent that is the problem?
I have checked the credentials in the 'Oracle Agent configuration utility' on the Remote server and these are all correct and the password matches the System Logon Account password.
Any ideas how I can solve this problem?
Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back