Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does Anyone use a Packet Shaper? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

beholder95

Technical User
Sep 4, 2003
US
I've been reading a lot of articles and whitepapers on packetshaping and WAn bandwidth management, some of which made me wonder how applicable this may be in a 70 user environment.

I'd mainly like this technology to be able to prioritize my business applications, as our main system is a hosted .net system that demands bandwidth, and possibly restrict certain types of recreational activity and limit bandwidth for others.

I've looked at packeteer but am wondering if three are other more small business budget friendly options?

Currently I've got a 2.0Mb Fiber Internet and a 2Mb down 6 Mb Up Cable modem as a backup, both going into a Sonicwall Pro2040. I'd assume i'd put the shaper between my sonicwall and switches.

Any help is apprecaited,
Andy

Why not just use the bandwidth management features of the 2040...?

Well bandwidth management doesn't give you the granularity a shaper would, as it isn't an application layer (layer 7) device. You can only block or limit bandwidth on ports rather then the applications themselves.

I appreciate the reply though and thank you for the suggestion as it may work for some people with slightly lesser requirements then I have.

Thanks!

You might want to stop by the Sonicwall site. SonicOS 4.0 Enhanced is currently in beta, and has application layer firewalling and bandwidth management.

Ooooooo.... i will definately check that out. Thanks!

Anyone know when the Enhanced 4.0 firmware will be out?

You know Sonicwall--4.0 for the 3060 and 2040 is scheduled for release in the 1st quarter of 2007 (i.e. six months ago.)

I believe it is already released if you have a 4060 or better, though.

We have also been looking for something like this. However, I recently upgraded one of our 4100's to v4.0.0.2

It was mentioned that QoS can now be done at the application level. A packet shaper is supposed to provide QoS, compression and acceleration. How does the Sonicwall compare? Unfortunately I cannot test it as the remote sites only have STD (2040's) firmware. We could purchase v4 and upgrade them, but is it worth it?

I don't think it's worth it as I have a 2040 on Enhanced 4.0 and don't find this Layer 7 QoS to be what i am looking for as it's not pro active enough.
The shaper will not only QoS layer 7 but also (as you said) compress and accelerate) as well as provide extenseive reporting on what users are accessing what types of services.
My issue i guess would be deployment of this device, i suppose it would go between my swich and Sonicwall, as I have two ISPs on a spillover setup.
I don't have the $ in this years budget so this will have to wait until 08 - but i believe this to be a better investment then simply paying for more ISP bandwidth as at least you can track where your bandwidth is being used and can make adjustments to make sure you are using what you have as efficiently as possible before an upgrade is justified.

Yes Beholder95 nice to see you are still here. Anyway, SonicWALL does offer a simple packet shaper (like jkupski (MIS)mentioned above)that, combined with Viewpoint, can give you reports and some "Packet Shaper Like Abilities". If you want something more granular you will have to purchase Packeteer. They specialize in this and are good products. However, before you purchase it ask yourself is the ROI (return on Investment) going to be worth it. Are you going to be using the product at full potential or do you just need a few features. You decide, but test the SonicWALL features first (they are free)

Roger White CISSP, CISA, CISM, GSEC
Certified SonicWALL Instructor
Certified Security Architect and Auditor
SonicWALL Curiculum Developer and Senior Trainer
SonicWALL Academy
(718)450-8127

Thanks guys for your valued advise. Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back