Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does Anyone on this Earth Understand The Exchange Backup Agent? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conman

IS-IT--Management
Jan 22, 2002
IE
I have a 2 W2K Servers one is my Domain controller (AD)and the other is a member server running Exchange2K. I have been working on this for a week and I am still having problems, I have finally managed to get it to backup with no errors but when I try and restore an individual mail I drill down the user, inbox etc but all that is displayed is the following "Folder_Info/Messages" According to those wonderful people in CA I should be able to restore a single mail...can anyone help, one other thing If I select to backup up everythin on the server (Full System Backup) I receive an alert that Bricklevel is not available when doing a Full System Backup. What do I need to select form my "Backup Manager" to be able to restore mails is it just the "Individual Mailboxes"? Thanks.

C.

HI,

This reply is assuming that you are using ARCserve2000..
Pls mention the version of the software in use before posting a question.....

The feature you are looking for " Restoring just 1 email within a mailbox" is not supported with ARCserve 2000

If you want this option to work , i believe CA has another program which does this... Brighstor Enterprise Backup i guess

As far as AS2000 is concerned the best you can do is restore the individual folders within the Mailboxes...

Hope this helps..

Cheers
Speshalyst
So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

I think that Conman (IS/IT--Manageme) is actually trying to restore an individual mailbox from the backup. I have had the same issues and I was unable to resolve. I am running AS2000 with Exchange 5.5. Hope someone knows how to resolve this. Thanks.

Conman,

The reason you get the alert that Bricklevel is not available when doing a Full System Backup is due to the disaster recovery option. A full system backup is needed to perform a recovery using the Disaster Recovery option. Brick level backups are pretty much usesless in that scenario. Database level backups are needed to recover the server (and need to be restored after recovering the OS).

If you are not using the Disaster Recovery option, you can simply select everything so that there is a half green box in front of My Computer, or the machine name. A full green box in front of the machine is a Full System backup, while a half green box is not.

Every software has it's quirks.

As for problems with Brick level restores, I would need to hear mor details as to what is going on.

Thanks Fritz,

Apologies for not stating my S/W Versions;

BrightStor Arcserve 2000 Workgroup/Advanced Edition
Backup Agent for Microsoft Exchange.

W2K Servers running SP3
Exchange2K running SP3
Arcserve (As above) running SP4.

The problem I have with the Bricklevel may actually not be a problem, but I cannot get a straight answer from CA. I backup the mailboxes fine, I can drill down through the users and see folders etc.. for example If I select inbox for a particular user I can see individual mails within that folder which is what I expected, The problem is that when I try to restore a single mail (Not Mailbox) and I go into restore, I drill down through the users select the users inbox but I cannot see individual mails within Inbox I just see "Folder_Info/Messages" and that is my question...When Restoring, Should I be able to see individual mails within a folder the same way I can see them when I backup. I should point out at this stage that I can restore a full mailbox no problem. Thanks again..

Conman,

Like I said before....

you cannot restore a single mail using Brighstor Arcserve 2000... This feature is not available....

This feature is available only with Brighstor enterptise backup..

Cheers
Speshalyst So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

referring to the alert that Bricklevel is not available when doing a Full System Backup. You can work around this by deselecting 'my computer' or the machine the Exchange Agent runs on and then select all individual volumes including both the database and brick level part of Exchange. Makes the backup source more static though.

regards

Conman,

The agent is working as it should. The next time you drill down in the backup screen, you will see the individual mail items listed, however you cannot select just one of them (the boxes next to them are greyed out). The agent will only backup at the folder level (inbox, outbox, etc.). In the restore screen, you are seeing what you are supposed to.

The agent is behaving properly.

Good luck.

Fritz4000 (Fred).

Thanks for your help Speshalyst, one last thing you might be able to advise me on, if I can't restore a single mail and I restore someones inbox will this overwrite any new mail they might have?

Cheers

C.

If you right click on the source, there will be a backup agent option screen with different options for overwriting. From my experience, the overwrite only if newer option does restore a mail item on tape if there is not a corresponding email already in the box.

Conman,

You can choose the specific option you want from the Backup Agent Options on the Restore Manager.

You find these options on righ-clicking the Dbaxchg2 in the restore sessions..

Cheers
Speshalyst So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back