Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does anyone know how to make a RJ-11 to a SDL adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjr2144

MIS
May 6, 2003
US
We are using IBM SurePOS 500 terminals and MS Cash Drawers. The terminals have a SDL connector for cash drawers. The MS cash drawers are RJ-11. Does anyone know how to make a RJ-11 to a SDL adapter?

The only way to use those ports is with an IBM cash drawer and IBM opos drivers. We use the rj11 drawer port on the printer for those type drawers. I'm sure if you can get the pinouts for that port you can make it work, but as we discovered it is easier for us just to plug MS cash drawers into the printers.

We have had a reseller make these adapters for us before. Plugging the MS Cash Drawer to the printer makes the cash drawer rely solely on the printer working properly all the time. If you run out of paper or there is a problem with the printer the cash drawer will not open. That is why using the adapter is so important.

I work for a reseller of Aloha, and we use those terminals frequently. Every system we install we use the printer interface option and plug the rj-11 into the printer. You have a better chance of the terminal crapping out on you than the printer, from what I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back