Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does anyone know how to intialise Global Variables?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS-IT--Management
Apr 3, 2001
AU
I have created a Statistical Sub-Model that contains only Global variables.

I have created an Equipment Model that I wish to calculate various prod-stats from using the Global Variables in my sub-model.

When I enter the Global Variables in the Equipment Model Rules, the system is clearly validating those entered in my Sub-model. I have tested this by trying to enter a non-existent Global Variable and I receive the appropriate validation pop-up - I do not receive this message against those found in my Sub-Model.

However, when I run MSB460A the calculated Prod Stats I expect to see in MSO441 record are blank. When I run the MSB464 Report, it states the following error message next to my Global Variables - "Global Var has not been Init." Be grateful for any assistance.

Therefore, can anyone tell me how I initialise these Global Variables if this is indeed my problem?

On the MSO460B, did you add an 'Initialize' line item as your first entry? The Item Type column would = 'I'?

Do you know Tom Denniston? Used to be with Arco but started his own consulting GCF. He is great with Prod Stats! I think I have his email if you want it.

Rgds,
Donna

Another great source of info on this subject is Peter Morris, Pro Com Consulting. I think that he monitors this forum. If not, I have his contact info too.

Donna

Thanks Donna,

I would appreciate the contact details of Peter Morrison and Tom Dennison. I have not worked with them before.

The fact that the submodel exists with the global variables is relevant, but if the submodel is not referenced during the run of the equipment model, it may not create output you are looking for. Depending on the desired outputs and the overall design of the model/submodels, you can initialize at the beginning of the model instructions OR initialize elsewhere in the process by resetting the global variable value to zero. Sometimes this is necessary or appropriate in complex processing.

A few more details of what you are trying to do would be useful.

Tom Denniston
tdennis_gcf@att.net

Thankyou Tom, I have done some more thinking and your response was helpful. I have successfully and repeatedly achieved my desired result.
:)

RF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back