Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does anyone know about security? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrblonde

Technical User
Mar 16, 2001
US
Ok,
I have to lock on folder on a shared computer. I know how to stop someone from gaing access via the network (Put a password on the share) However how do I stop someone from sitting down at the PC and getting into this folder. I can't lock anyother part of the PC but this folder. (by lock I mean password protect) Any suggestions? FYI...Win 98 P2P.

Boot to DOS.
Rename the folder by holding down the ALT key, and hit 255 on the numeric pad, then any folder name.
It will quietly VANISH from everywhere.
When you want it back rename it. Cheers,
Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Moderator at Staff at Windows 9x/ME instructor.
Jim's Modems:

handy comtech!

you can password the screensaver
and there is freeware to lock files available on the net.

but someone can almost get anything on a computer, comtechs idea, which is new to me, may be the best advice.

X-)

I'm messing up the rename suggestion to make it "vanish" could you give me "Hold my hand" Instructions?

Boot to DOS, don't restart in DOS mode.
Rename the folder.
Let's say the folder is called (in DOS) "Pictures".
Hold down the ALT key, hit 255 on the numeric pad, let go of the ALT key, and type the name you want (let's call it "mystuff".
To get it back, boot to DOS.
Type: ren {ALT255}mystuff Pictures.
Cheers,
Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Moderator at Staff at Windows 9x/ME instructor.
Jim's Modems:

Ahem.... I thought I heard my name....

Actually, using ASCII 255 for a folder name doesn't make it disappear. It shows as an underscore ("_") character in Explorer. Any attempt to double click on the folder under Win9x results in an error message "The folder 'C:\_' does not exist". NT sees through the ruse and shows the full contents.

The only really effective way to make this trick work is to create the ASCII 255 folder and then substitute it with a virtual drive assignment. Lets say that your last physical or mapped drive assignment is E:... shell to DOS and enter SUBST F: C:\_ (where "_" is the 255 folder). Then create a folder consisting of the underscore character ("_") and copy a few ordinary files into it.

Now, when somebody double clicks on either the 255 folder or the underscore folder, they view the contents of the underscore folder, without an error message. (Win9x seems to think the two folders are actually one folder, so it shows the contents of the folder with the "legal" name, regardless of which you try to open.)

Here comes the interesting part. Since you substituted a virtual drive for the 255 folder, you can doubleclick on the F: drive and view, copy, move and perform any other action on the files in the 255 folder, just like they were located in any normal folder.

When you are finished working with the files, shell to the DOS prompt and enter SUBST F: /D to delete the virtual drive assignment and deny all access through Explorer.

This trick is handy for hiding files from the few curious users who have networked access to your system. Substituted drives aren't accessible over most networks.

Ahhh... digging in my bag of tricks now. There is a way to make a folder contents *totally* inaccessible to anyone but yourself but it is only useful on a short term basis and only practical on a drive that doesn't see much disk access. For this trick you will require a sector editor or a fair knowledge of low-level disk I-O. Let's say you have stored a lot of "proprietary" data in the E:\SECURE folder... open your handy-dandy sector editor and search the first 33 sectors of physical drive E: for the string "SECURE". Place the cursor over the letter "S" and change it to the ASCII character 229. Save and exit.

ASCII 229 is used by DOS to mark files and folders as "deleted". Changing the first letter of a folder name to ASCII 229 doesn't actually delete the folder or release the used clusters but it fools DOS into believing that the folder has been deleted. It vanishes under Windows and the MSDOS prompt. To restore it, you search the first 33 sectors for "_ECURE" and change the 229 character to an "S".

One of the reasons this trick is best suited for short term use on an obscure drive is that Scandisk will see it as an error and try to correct it, making your precious files inaccessible to all users, including yourself.

Disclaimer: don't try these tricks in the work environment. Network admins are a paranoid lot LOL and take a dim view toward any user who tries to deceive them.
VCA.gif

Alt255@Vorpalcom.Intranets.com​

Well I don't know how to put a password on it, but you can right click on the folder then go to properties then at the top there will be little tabs click the one that says view. And you can make it a hidden file and he won't be able to see that the file even exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back