Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does any one know what the message 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIS
Aug 9, 2000
Does any one know what the message below means and how to rectify it ??

rlogind: could not grant slave pty.
Connection closed.

You might be running out of pty's; each login, except for directly connected terminal logins, uses two of them - a master and a slave device.

As far as I remember the number of pty's is configured in the kernel. Have a careful look around in the kernel configuration.
Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com

umm, you don't rebuild the kernel, but you can change the configuration files it looks at ... this aint no linux here :)

Hi All

I have changed some parameters on /etc/system file.
So, I would like to know, whether I need to rebuild
the kernel or not.

How do I rebuild the kernel on solaris sytem?

Rgds.

Venkat

YOU DON'T EVER REBUILD THE KERNEL!

it's a one size fits all thing, you change the configs and on boot up it reconfigures itself !

you can even get it to reconfigure on the fly!

It's a very good stable operating system, and as of version 2 you never need to recompile the kernel!

Venkat,

Take Jad's advice, take a copy of and change the config file, reboot and check the result.
Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com

Venkat,
Try /etc/system
there settings like set maxusers=64 ( self explanitary )
set pt_cnt=128 ( for pseudo terminal count see man pages for details )
as everyone else said the changes become active after reboot.
Take a copy of the file before you change it, then if there any problems, you can
copy it back as it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back