Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does Access 2000 convert

Status
Not open for further replies.

macky

Programmer
May 22, 2001
GB
I have built a database on Access 97 and one of the users is running Access 2000 software, when I've had this problem with older versions of Access, 97 has converted the old database by a prompt in the front end when trying to open,is this the same for Access 2000.

I'm suprised no one has answered this yet , but YES, your A2K user will probably get a prompt asking whether to convert or open in a 'design mode read-only' state.

If s/he "converts", your database will be converted to A2K format and none of your A97 users will be able to use it.

If s/he "opens in read-only mode', s/he will NOT be able to make any design type changes, but WILL be able to add/edit/delete data.

"Remember, you're unique - just like everyone else"
You're invited to visit another free Access forum:
or my site,

You do NOT want that one user to convert the database!

I'm currently having to convert my 97 databases into 2000, and quite frankly, it's scaring the you-know-what out of me.

I think there's a way that 2000 can open a 97 file without converting it, but it doesn't let you modify any objects.

Hopefully some true experts on 97 vs 2000 can help you out.

Thanks for assistance chaps, the data is in a read only format so the user in A2K will only need the same.
Thanks for your prompt reply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back