Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does 6 line analog phone exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

4DeanB

Technical User
Feb 10, 2003
US
Thanks for taking a look at this post. I have a customer that has been utilizing 4 line analog phones in a small office environment for years. They want to add 2 more analog trunks and share all 6 lines in a similar fashion with 6 line phones. Seems like an easy request but I'm having difficulty locating one. I explained to them that this scenario would typically require a phone switch but they are apparently a very "thrifty" outfit and are opposed to the cost of a real phone system. Any suggestions or link to a vendor? Thanks.

I hate to tell you, but I have never seen any non-system phones that could handle more than 4 lines. You could probably fulfill their needs by going with an old, and basic, refurbished system. The Comdial Executech KSUs are very durable. Just make sure that you get phones from a reliable refurb house that has re-built the keypads.

Or Vodavi Starplus analog system for that matter...

To my knowledge the only six line phone was the WECO 2565GKM for the 1A2 KTS (565GKM rotory dial) and it has no HOLD key, just six line pickups & lamps. Personally, I have never seen one, but I do have the BSPs on them.

You might check a publication called "THE MART". A good source for used phone equip & systems, or try I think that is their URL.

Hope this helps!

....JIM....

Thanks guys. I feel I've done my due diligence now. Funny thing is, I called her back to inform her that the phone doen't exist and now she wants a proposal on a system. Looks like things are looking up!

persuade them to upgade to ISDN - ist cheaper then 6 alog lines (here in uk anyway) & sell then an Avaya IP Office

Note: as an IP Offie maintainer my advise should be considered as very biased ( I even spent MY OWN money on one for home)

let them put two 4 line non-ksu phones on each desk :)

Depends on where you locate, and whether your local carrier provides Centrex Services. You may be able to install 6 analog Centrex lines and all phone sets as administrative sets (M5316). Also depends on how many feature button you program, you may need to add the M522 expansion module. You can then get access to a lot more lines on each phone set (with DSS and BLF program for each line on each phone)

However, all the line programming (and a lot of feature programming) will be done by the carrier. And the phone sets cost and programming cost can be very expensive.

a small phone system would enhance their call handling ability and be an asset to their business
I always wonder at clients who won't spend on such an important tool for their business.

You can put in a refurbed partner 11 or other small key system for about the same money they are paying for 4 line stand alone

Look at a classic merlin. Cheap, and will keep running till the cows come home. The only issue is the earlier ones that had some power supply problems. Plus, the phones arent half bad looking. I recommend that you look at the 820D2s, and stay away from the 410s and the regular 820s.

-Austin

Put in a used Norstar 616 and M7208's. They're fairly cheap and most vendors will give you a 2 year warranty. (unless you live in the UK where ISDN is still the "rage" and you make enough money to put an IP system in your home)HA

A norstar sounds like it could be a good idea, but it sounds like these people are so tight they squeek. So, that is why I referred to the classic merlin.

If you got a 616 that had say, DR2 or DR3, nothing fancy, cost your looking at about $300. M7208's at $65 each. If your looking at 8 phones, that's $820 cost. 25% mark up plus labor and your looking at under $1500 (at least in the Midwest). East coast and Left coast labor rates are higher.That's a pretty small investment for a very feature rich system (even with the older software) that comes with a 2 year warranty.

Sure there's a 6-line analog phone, it's actually 9 or 19 or 29 - you just have to go back to old 1A2 days and EVERYTHING was analog! You'll need to run 50-pair cable, but the KSUs and KTUs are cheap, about a penny a pound at the scrap yard. . .

Another option might be a secretarial answer unit - it was a flip-switch selector for 5-10 lines depending on model. It's another dinosaur, though.

If they really are big enough to need 6 lines, it's time they realized they need a "real" phone system.

Howard

It sounds like the budget is super low. You could go with a really old partner, but I still like the classic merlins (ie-1030) The KSUs are cheap, and so are the phones, They are excellent systems, and with FM5, they have a decent amount of features too. Those suckers were built to last decades. And actually, the phones still look nice. It is old, and it did require the 4 pair wiring (but if the have 4 line phones now, they already have everything set up for 4 pair) but I dont consider the Merlins dinosaurs. You will not be able to find a simple 6 line phone nowadays for one reason, you would have to have 6 pair wiring, and that is not common. It would be a pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back