Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does 2nd CPU need to be from same lot ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

comtutor

IS-IT--Management
Aug 8, 2000
US
Hey fellow techies. I am upgrading a newer Dell Poweredge server to a second CPU ( PIII 600 ) and have heard conflicting views. Lets take a vote. Does the 2nd CPU have to be from the same lot as the first or not?

TIA :)

[sig]<p>Draq<br><a href=mailto:comtutor@uswestmail.net>comtutor@uswestmail.net</a><br>Good Luck with this information<br>
"It's not what you know, or who you know, but who you know that knows what !" --- Me<br>
"Visualize Whirled Peas" --- Kelly Bundy[/sig]

What???? I've never heard anything like that, I'm not real familiar with Dell servers but if thats the case I would throw that thing out the nearest window! I think what they mean is you can't install a PIII 600 running at 100Mhz bus speed with say a 600B that runs at 133Mhz bus speed, or a 600E which is a Socket 370 chip, as for the same lot number....like the next serial number from the factory? I know this to be the case when buying wall paper or paint, so you don't have a darker shade than another &quot;lot number&quot;.

Livewire [sig][/sig]

Hi Draq,

well what little i understand is they are refering to the steping number and revision number. and it has to do with the CPU's specs, ie there are slight differences between the batch's like a spread of the CPU's specifications. now most suppliers advise that you need to specify that you want n number of cpu's to go in a multi processor machine this is not a dell specific thing. check out the intel site for more info.

also some of the &quot;CPU clocking&quot; sites have a lot of info on this, they are mad, but in a nice way!

HTH
Robert [sig][/sig]

I think this was a real issue with first gen pentiums which had to be ordered specifically for dual configuration.
I just upgraded three Dells P-III 500s to dual with no problems. I had called my CPU supplier who told me that it shouldn't be an issue. [sig]<p>Al<br><a href=mailto: atc-computing@home.com> atc-computing@home.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

No it does not have to be from the same lot. If you do have a problem with the server seeing the 2nd processor, try running uptomp.exe, this can be found in the resourse kit. Please refer to Q124541

Jim [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back