Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DocumentRoot does not exist (??)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vegomatic

IS-IT--Management
Aug 22, 2008
US
Hello:
We just moved a website from one server to another. Everything is in the same directory structure on the new machine as the old one. Old machine was Solaris, new machine is Linux.
I copied the virtual host section from the old machine to the new one and attempted to start Apache. The configtest says that the syntax is OK. When I try to start Apache, I get the message that the DocumentRoot (/u1/htdocs) does not exist. This is the doc root that's specified in the virtual host config.
Well, it certainly DOES exist, and there's a ton of stuff in there, too.
Just for the hell of it, I tried using /u1/htdocs as the document root here instead of /var/
# DocumentRoot: The directory out of which you will serve your
# documents. By default, all requests are taken from this directory, but
# symbolic links and aliases may be used to point to other locations.
#
DocumentRoot "/var/
When I try to start Apache, I get the message that the DocumentRoot needs to be a directory.

Huh?

Here's what my virtual host looks like (the names have been changed to protect the innocent):

#Virtual Host config for <VirtualHost 123.45.678.901:80>
ServerAdmin webmaster@foofaw.info
DocumentRoot /u1/htdocs
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /u1/cgi-bin/
UserDir disabled
#ServerName ErrorLog /u1/foofaw/logs/error_log
<Directory />
AllowOverride All
</Directory>
Options All
#TransferLog /u1/foofaw/logs/transfer_log
#CustomLog /u1/foofaw/logs/referer_log "%t %{referer}i -> %U %s"
#CustomLog /u1/foofaw/logs/agent_log "%{user-agent}i"
#FOLLOWING COMMENTED 11/11 FOR TESTING
#CustomLog /u1/foofaw/logs/access_log "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}$
</VirtualHost>

Thanks in advance for any help. Sure is appreciated.

Does apache run without the vhost config?

Is /u1/htdocs a symbolic link to somewhere?

Actually, it turned out to be a problem with selinux. Apparently, it was blocking access to /u1. At least that's what the server guy told me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back