Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Documentor under Access 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

w860098

Technical User
Mar 21, 2002
GB
I have described in previous threads how I have built a 'mechanism' whereby I am able to extract details from the Object Definition created by the Documentor facility.
In particular, under Access 97, I was able to store the online output as the table 'Object Definition' and then use Queries to enable a Report to provide a listing of each table column together with the descriptions I input when the table & columns is first defined.
However I have now been upgraded to Access 2003 and have hit a significant problem (thanks to Microsoft !!).
I can still generate the Object Definition online but it would now appear I cannot save that detail as a Table. The best I can do now is export the detail as a text file and then load it back in as a new table (I would then have to change the column names to match those I had previously !).
Does anyone know whether it is possible to save the Object Definition directly as a table - as I was able to do under Access 97 ?

Can't you export the generated report to excel ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Yes, I am sure I can - but this means I have to export the information and then re-import it.
This is obviously somewhat more laborious and I was hoping I could just save the information directly as a table (i.e. Object Definition) as I used to do under Access 97.
[In fact my previous posting on this subject was actually looking for advise on how I might be able to totally automate this process by use of command, macro, etc. so that even the creation of the Object Definition table (plus the subsequent Query and Report activities) could have been achieved by a single action]

You don't have to export and re-import since the object definition table is still available if you know how to find it. I have described how to find and use the table at
There are a couple differences from earlier versions the most notable is the TypeID of 11 for fields.

Let me know if you have any questions on this. Since you have used the table before, you shouldn't have any trouble using this table.

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back