Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Documenting Reports 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

endeavour

MIS
Mar 29, 2001
US
Anyone know of a way to extract information about what objects, variables and formulae are used in a reports so I include them in my documentation. The structure view does not give me a complete enough picture.

Thanks

You need to query the object model for this information. Are you version 5 ?

I am using v5.1.2. I have started to experiment with the object model now thanks.

Bob Ward or Endeavor:

I understand the concept here but how in the world do I begin to query the object model? As you can probably tell I am a user who does not have access to documentation. I work for a company that is very large and my part of the organization represents about 20% of the total population. I do not have access to the knowledge base at as yet.

Do you know of any books or other documentation that would help me?

TIA!

Becky and Endeavor,
I think what Bob's getting at here is that you can use the object model to programatically get at pieces of Business Objects and the Designer module through VBA. This information is available in the SDK. You should probably contact your BO rep for more information about obtaining the SDK.
Hope that clears things up.

V

I would recommend that you register with BO to get access to the tech support website. Although there are reference documents that accompany the SDK, there is little in the way of worked examples to help you understand how to use it. As I have never come across any text books that go beyond the basics, the web site is the only source of worked examples. Some knowledge of VBA is also going to be extremely useful. Still, it is worth persevering. I am still a novice in this area but I have managed to achieve my original objectives and I am now quite excited about the potential that incorporating VBA has brought to BusinessObjects.

Thank you both. I have used VBA in Word, Excel and Access but still feel like a novice no matter where I am using it. At least I have an understanding of what I can do in other products so it makes me "hunt" for the answers in BOb to my VBA puzzles. We should have the SDK documentation next week but until that arrives I appreciate all the help and support I have received on this forum. I too am excited about the possibilities VBA in BOb presents and look forward to helping others as you have helped me.

BeckyL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back