Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Documenter: only list table field names & descriptions??

Status
Not open for further replies.

caitlin

Technical User
Jun 21, 2002
US
Hi everyone --

The Database Documenter seems to give you all or nothing ... for each of my tables, I'd like to print a list with only the field names, data type and description (basically a printout of the design view screen). But in order to get the description property in the Documenter, you get everything else as well. One table's worth of info is 32 pages long ... a bit much.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Caitlin
[ponytails]

What you describe Caitlin is real. I have often wished for something similar.

I have resorted to creating a Documenter Form. On the form is a single large textbox control and a series of buttons and combo boxes.
On one combo box lists all of the tables in the d.base.

AfterUpdate in the combo runs code that populates the textbox control with the data you ask for. You can then select, copy and paste it to Word - or whereever you want. ( I thought this more flexible than doing an automatic write to file, or a similar function in a preformatted report. All these options are possible.)

The AfterUpdate Code then uses the Tables Collection and TableDef to refer to the particular table and the properties you want.

I don't have a sample of this code with me at Work today - but if the above sounds suitable but the Table Collection / TableDefs stuff sounds too much like an 'uphill' then let me know and I'll look it up tonight.

'ope-that-'elps.

G LS

caitlin,

This may not be exactly what you are looking for, but it's a very nice, FREE documenter:
I got tired of settling for the access documenter and needed something that I could use without having to code my own, especially when I'm working in various databases.

Good luck,

K.Hood

Thanks! I tried the EZ documenter (freeware) and it provides just what I'm looking for -- a simple overview of the fields in my tables, including descriptions and index info.

The program creates output for all tables in the database, rather than just the one I need -- and some of them are pretty monstrous -- but it's easy enough to just print the pages relevant to that table.

Thanks again for the tip!!!

--Caitlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back