Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Document Permission 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbrider

IS-IT--Management
Feb 3, 2003
US
I am running a Windows 2000 server with Active Directory. I have a shared folder for our templates. I don't want to restrict users from working within the templates and printing them, but i do want to stop them from making changes to the templates and saving the changes. I also want to restrict users from creating mail merge documents. Can someone guide me in the right direction.

Thank you,

Not sure on the mail merge part but you could have all your template files as read only in NTFS for all users. On the other hand, if they are templates, their extensions should be ending with .dot for word templates and .xlt for excel templates. If you try to save it does ask you for another filename to save as.

Claudius (What certifications??)

Yeah, thats what I use at the moment. And I also don't know about Mail Merge. Create the .dot or .xlt file and make that folder (or file) Read only.

Problem solved.

Thanks,

It worked out perfectly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back