Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Document changes to Read Only while editing

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmcgillem

MIS
Jun 26, 2001
US
Several of my users have recently encountered a problem while working on documents. They will open a previously created document to make changes to it and will encounter a file permissions error which changes the document mode from Read-Write to Read-Only. This error occurs either during the editing process or when they attempt to save the document. The document is located on the network. They are permitted to save the document on their desktop and sometimes on the network. It appears that for some reason the TMP files created when the file is open are not being removed when the file is closed. However, the user is not notified of read-only status until they have been working on the document. I have tried resetting their usage data and replaced all of their templates, including their Normal.dot. I have Windows Desktop Search running on two other workstations that are not typically used by users. I have noticed that the files were considered open by the file server when one user encountered this problem. I thought the Desktop Search may be the culprit; however, the problem happened with another user where the file wasn't open by the Desktop Search. Has anyone ever seen this issue? Any ideas on a resolution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back