Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet - error message

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crookshanks

Technical User
May 18, 2004
NL
Hello guys,

I am having trouble with the TransferSpreadsheet Method. I worked fine but for a reason unknown for me now I getting the following error message:

Runtime error 3274 - External table is not in the expected format.

The code that raises the error is:
Code:
DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel9, "tbl_PROJECTEN", diroutput, True

tbl_Projecten is an internal table (not a linked table) and diroutput is the filename with path.

Yesterday I installed the Office2007 conversion pack. After that the error occurred. So, I removed the conversion pack but the problem persists.

Q: Does anybody know that this error means exactly and has a possible solution? The strangest thing is that it worked before.

Regards,

It seems that the workbook already exists and has been edited. Either rename or delete the existing workbook.

Thanks for your answer. I've checked it. De outputfile (diroutput) does not exists. When running the export the systeem creates the excel-sheet and then comes up with the error. Leaving me with a blank Excelworkbook.

Yes, I included the following:
Code:
f Right(diroutput, 4) <> ".xls" Then diroutput = diroutput & ".xls"

Can you export to something simple, such as:

diroutput = "C:\Data\Test.xls

Thanks. Yes, to my surprise that works. Getting confused.
What is the thought about the hint?

I am not sure as you did not include the value of diroutput. It may include some unexpected character, an extra ", or an &; or the path may be particularly long.

Sounds logical. I.e. the following path causes an error

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Projecten_110907.xls

and this one not

C:\test\projecten_1213.xls

does not

Perhaps the [space] in Documents and Settings?

In this case I think it is possible that you do not have write permissions for the directory. You could try creating a new text document manually.

I do not think so. I have administrator rights. I will do some further testing. Thanks for putting me in the right direction, I will keep you posted?

Perhaps anybody knows the criteria of the outputpath?

Yes, please, it will be useful for anyone experiencing similar problems.

Any New on this post?
I also have problems using this method.

Thanks
:)

Zollo VBA Developer
[thumbsup]

I think I have solved my problem.
It seems I can't write to the C: drive on this PC, (although I can create folders).

I've successfully exported the xls to another folder on the C Drive.

I've added code to kill/delete any existing versions of the xls (turn off error handling in case their is no xls)

Code:
On Error Resume Next
  Kill "C:\Database-Front-Ends\TempDocs\RptTaskStatusByStaffMember.xls"
On Error GoTo ErrorHandler
  DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel9, "qryRptTaskStatusByStaffMember", _
      "C:\Database-Front-Ends\TempDocs\RptTaskStatusByStaffMember.xls"

I'll have to use automation to open the xls and reformat it.

Pitty this is extra work when it is much easier using the VBE/GUI File>Export.

Zollo VBA Developer
[thumbsup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back